Skip to main content
Topic: Using templates (Read 3131 times) previous topic - next topic

Using templates

I am trying to do my own rhythm template and save it to the templates file so it will be in the list to choose from.  I cannot get it to show in the list and I have followed the instructions in the user guide about dragging and dropping it into the "song template" dialog box but that doesn't work.  Now, I open it this morning and what I had saved is no longer there when I open the file. 
I am not very good at this kind of stuff and I'm trying to learn how to use a midi keyboard with this program but it seems so complicated.   Any help on this would be great!

Re: Using templates

Reply #1
Let's do this step by step. Can you please

• open Noteworthy
  • click on "Tools" (in the toolbar) and then click on the tab "Folders"
  • and tell us what it says there next to "Templates:"

Then we can find out whether your file ended up there or not ...

H.M.

Reply #2
The default location for song templates is in a folder called "Template" under the NWC program folder.  If you are using Vista or later you need to gain read/write file system access to this folder.  Easiest way is to "take ownership" of the template folder.

Otherwise, you COULD change the template location in |Tools|Options|Folders (tab) and point it to a folder in your personal folders location, or perhaps the "All Users" structure.

Either way, once you have a location in use that you have Read/Write access to you can save templates.

If you have XP or earlier these problems don't really exist as long as your user account is a member of the "Administrators" group.

To use a MIDI keyboard, you need to tell NWC it exists.  From |Tools|Options|Record (tab) select the device from the Input Device list box.  If it isn't there then Windows doesn't recognise the device - this needs to be fixed before NWC can use it.

Once NWC recognises the keyboard you can enter notes by clicking the Record button OR from |Tools|Play|Record, or just press <F4>.  If you don't have some kind of "click track" or song to record against then all you will get is single time value notes (Crotchets IIRC - it's been many years since I've done this).  I found it best to have a click track running so that note length variations could also be recorded.  Starting the record function will play the click track.

NB the click track mentioned could easily be a functioning song that you're adding a track to.

Be aware that many softsynth/driver combo's have high latency times that make the recorded notes appear well after they "should".  Best to use a hardware synth if you can, OR try to use an ASIO protocol driver (ASIO4ALL comes to mind).  I seem to recall there being a lot of discussion about this many years ago - perhaps a site search is in order.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
How can you tell if you have "read/write" ownership of the "template" folder?  Also, when I go to tools and options and click on the folders tab out beside "templates" it says :program:\Template.

Reply #4
OK, :program:\Template is the default location.
On a 32 bit system, this is normally "C:\Program Files\NoteWorthy Composer 2\Template"
On a 64 bit system, this is normally "C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteWorthy Composer 2\Template"

If you open Windows Explorer and navigate to this location and try to copy a file you will soon know - if you have access it will copy OK, if not the copy will fail.  In the case of a failure go up a level and Right Click the Template folder and select Properties.
Within the Properties dialogue box, select the Security tab.
Here you can see the current permissions - if your login name is shown click on it and see the permissions that are granted.  Most likely there will be no normal permissions, BUT the "Special Permissions" box will likely have a tick and be greyed out.
You can click the "Full Control" box,
OR click the Advanced button which will take you to where you can edit the special permissions
OR by selecting the Owner tab you can take ownership.
I would simply use the "Full Control" checkbox.

If your login name is NOT shown, you can either ADD yourself, OR you could select the "Users" group (probably the last entry in the list) and assign full control.

Reply #5
ok, so mine says that the owner is "administrators (destop 94L 1MQV  etc)  there is one that says Users (destop-94L.....) is that the one to choose and then change permissions?
I did that and created the tempo template I want and saved it but when I go back in and click on it, it doesn't have anything showing but the treble cleft sign and the time signature.

Reply #6
ok, so mine says that the owner is "administrators (destop 94L 1MQV  etc)  there is one that says Users (destop-94L.....) is that the one to choose and then change permissions?
Yes, that should work nicely.
I did that and created the tempo template I want and saved it but when I go back in and click on it, it doesn't have anything showing but the treble cleft sign and the time signature.
Not sure why there's nothing else in there.  Perhaps open the template from within NWC (try File|Open Sample and then navigate to the Template folder where you saved it - should normally be "Custom" but doesn't have to be.  Wherever you want it in the template structure should be fine).

Reply #7
Oh well, I give up.  Even when I put in the rhythm I want the only thing that it shows when I stop recording are all 32nd and 64th notes which is not at all what I am playing.  This is where it would be nice if I had someone here to show me how to do it, lol. 

Reply #8
This sounds like you have a latency issue with your synth.
What happens is the sound is produced AFTER NWC thinks it has played the note.  You respond to the sound of the click and play in time with it, BUT because NWC is ahead of what you are hearing it thinks you are playing later than you think you are.  As a result you get a lot of short notes, often tied to longer notes.

The fix is a faster synth.  The easiest way is to use an ASIO compatible driver.  ASIO4ALL comes to mind.