Skip to main content
Topic: Chord member spacing (Read 2781 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord member spacing

Is there a way to get the top dotted quarter to move over in the chord? It looks strange to me and I'm not sure how to fix it. I experimented here with increasing the dot spacing to .2 but it doesn't seem to change the actual note position which looks too far to the left.

Thanks

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Up,XDotSpace=0.2|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:b3,4,5
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Re: Chord member spacing

Reply #1
I will give @Rick G.'s answer before he does: if you use layered staves for this, the notes display as expected.  Although I would classify this more as a bug than as a limitation.

It has been discussed many times that NWC's support for split voice chords on the same staff has a number of limitations. You don't have separate control over things like stem length, extra spacing and beams for the top and bottom voices of the chord. Also, NWC won't allow certain types of split voice chords, such as those where the voices overlap (for example, C and G notes with a downward stem and E with an upward stem). Many people will always use separate layered staves for multiple voices, although I will often try to use a split voice staff for simpler choral arrangements (e.g. with SA on one staff and TB on another). But even when I do, I often run into situations where I want to have beamed notes in both directions at the same time, and I end up adding a layered staff so I can do that.

Reply #2
This might be what you are looking for:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.751)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|WithNextStaff:Layer
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Up,XNoteSpace=0.2
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-2"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:b3,4,5|Opts:Stem=Down
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Yes, Rick, that's what I need. How can I recreate that next time? What's the secret step?

Reply #4
Oh, I see, it is layered...Mike was right all along.  ;)

Could one of you tech wizards figure out an easier way? When I hover my curser on the chord member, why can't more options come up like spacing and moving the dot up or down a space?

Reply #5
Just to be clear: using separate layers for separate voices on the same staff isn't unique to NWC - it's standard across most if not all notation programs. NWC is unique in allowing you to use as many layers as you want, though: Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore, Dorico, etc., all limit you to four layers per staff.

Reply #6
Just to be clear: using separate layers for separate voices on the same staff isn't unique to NWC - it's standard across most if not all notation programs. NWC is unique in allowing you to use as many layers as you want, though: Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore, Dorico, etc., all limit you to four layers per staff.

I didn’t know that. It’s another advantage of nwc. Do you have that one in your blog post?