Skip to main content
Topic: Corrupted File? (Read 1767 times) previous topic - next topic

Corrupted File?

I've been scoring a medley.  It's very long and I'm afraid I've done something to the file. Amidst going back and forth from song to song it seems I've accumulated some phantom notes and measures. I think my problems began when I tried to do an instrument change on one of the staffs.  After determining I didn't like it I tried to undo it, but it won't let me.  Ugh.  Please tell me I won't have to start all over.  Also, are there banks of other instruments out there that can become add-ons?  I've fallen in love with the flugelhorn sound lately...….

Re: Corrupted File?

Reply #1

A workaround to starting over might be to play each existing staff by itself - use {shift}{F5} - if it sounds right then the problem is in a different staff. 

Once you've found the bad one, make note of where it seems to go wrong.  Mute all the existing staffs, add a new one, and copy
everything from the beginning of the bad staff to the bar before the problem to it.

Put the "right" properties in the new staff, and see how it plays back.

Reply #2
The other thing you might try, if you have it configured, is to look at successive backup files.
If you go to the File menu and select "Open Backup" , you will see a list of previous versions of your file. You can open these whilst still having your current saved file open.  Going back through the backup copies may help you to see where the problem happened and what to do about it. Just do not re-save the backup file as your actual file unless you are totally sure you want to overwrite. I would suggest you never overwrite but  rather re-name.

Backup files are configured in Tools / Options / Folders.   If you have not got an entry against "Backup Files", I would suggest that you now change that for future use and safety.

Rich.

Reply #3
Thank you both.  These are excellent suggestions.  I've also learned the hard way to be very careful with flow directions which can cause similar problems.  That I not the case with this file though because I've scored it from end to end without repeats.  Makes for lots of pages!