Skip to main content
Topic: Midi Mixing (Read 1757 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi Mixing

Is there any good software out here (free or otherwise) for mixing NWC midi scores?  Recommendations?

Re: Midi Mixing

Reply #1
(I hope that I understand correctly what you ask/need).

I am very happy with Reaper (cheap but professional); for connecting I use loopMIDI. There are free soundfonts around, but they are, in general, not as good as up-to-date virtual instruments; still, I rely heavily on "Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra". Also, I added the free Kontakt player to be able to use some of the cheaper Kontakt instruments (right now, only the Olympus Micro Choir).

Overlaying with recordings (.WAVs), if you need it, is - I think - not easy, as the timing of your NWC score needs to match with the WAV - if you do everything in the DAW, MIDI parts are moved along the time axis together with sound.

Anyway, producing sound from scores is major work, if only for the fact that deciding on the "right" sounds is a huge area in itself. Also, you will run into the note-length problem: What NWC's crude player believes to be the right note length is often not a good idea.[1]I am thinking about writing a plugin that helps with this; but this might take a year or so.

H.M.

P.S. I plan to create a few demo scores with different synthesizers, especially to demonstrate that the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is really much worse than e.g. Chorium or Fluid Soundfonts; but that will take some time.
You can read here about a very special aspect of this - with crank organs, this is a real problem, as (a) the player cannot change the note length; and (b) an organ sound does not have a natural decay like e.g. a piano, for which the position of the "note off" is not as crucial: So I had to learn how to end notes precisely ...

Re: Midi Mixing

Reply #2
Thank you sir!