Skip to main content
Topic: boxed text (Read 2463 times) previous topic - next topic

boxed text

Good morning
 Here is a new question which I haven't found an answer for.

Is it possible to box text and place it anywhere on the staff? Some text instructions should be put in a box for better visibility, and I was able to do this with some at the barline using the bar label tool. I couldn't find any other way to accomplish it. Is there another way to do this? What happens if the text needs to be in the middle of the phrase? The bar label tool won't work then.

I will try to attach a sample. This works ok but could be moved over to the right:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Rest|Dur:8th
|User|BarLabel.ms|Pos:14|Text:"With Audience"
|Dynamic|Style:f|Pos:9
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-6,-4,-1
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-3,-1,1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

The text "Spoken" should  be boxed:

|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Text|Text:"  Spoken:"|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:7
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-6x|Opts:XNoteSpace=2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-6x
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-6x
[code=nwc]

Thanks for your help.

Re: boxed text

Reply #1
I think that I don't understand how this tool works...it clearly has more options than I originally thought.  I just experimented and was able to move it to the middle of the bar.  :-[

I have only used it before for rehearsal numbers.

|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-6x|Opts:XNoteSpace=2
|User|BarLabel.ms|Pos:8.5|Text:Spoken:|Font:StaffLyric
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-6x
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-6x

Reply #2
You can put a BarLabel.ms pretty much anywhere in a measure, and it should display correctly. However, it currently only knows how to center text over the item which follows the marker.

It would be possible to modify BarLabel.ms to add some positioning flexibility, such as allowing the box to be left or right aligned in addition to centered, and there are some other "niceties" that I've thought of since I created it, like allowing the line thickness and spacing to be adjusted. Maybe allow different shapes besides a rectangle. But when I created it, one of the things that people liked about it was that it was simple to use; not a lot of options to mess with. And it is especially handy for its intended use case, which is bar numbers. Perhaps @hmmueller would consider adding a boxed text option to his XText.hmm object :)

It was ingenious of you to think of this alternate use for BarLabel.ms.  I guess this is an example of thinking outside the box? ;)

Reply #3
Hahaha! Thanks. Desperate times etc.

I wouldn't mind having a few extra options if you were willing to do it. I think for the most part, the default works, but for special cases, then its nice to have a few other options. If the instructions were extra long, could they be broken by using %br% ?

If anyone else is interested, I was told by an engraver that texted instructions should be used for moods in the music, specific rhythmic feel, (in 2, double time, etc.) telling the performer to pay attention to something other than common dynamics.

Reply #4
Since you specifically mentioned %br% (multiple lines of text), I think it makes more sense to petition @hmmueller for a box option in his XText.hmm object, which is already chock full of interesting features.  One more can only make it better!

Reply #5
I added a simple box feature to XText.hmm 0.92, with some explanations why it has to remain simple. Feedback is welcome!

H.M.

Reply #6
Hi

I just wanted to say that I have started using xtext for boxed text and I like all the options that it gives me! I don't find it difficult to use for my purposes. Thanks so much for developing it and for your help here on the forum. Thanks to Mike as well for his help and referral.

Reply #7
P.S. Mike, I am still using your Bar Label for rehearsal numbers and letters. What % size is recommended for those? I have been experimenting and am not sure which is best.

Reply #8
I think it's up to you how big you want them to be. The box size for 100% is affected by the size of the font you choose.  One thing you will notice is that if you pick the size and vertical position for the first bar label object you insert, later ones will automatically inherit those settings as you insert them.