Skip to main content
Topic: Old Midi interface won't work (Read 3431 times) previous topic - next topic

Old Midi interface won't work

The other day, I dug out my old midi interface "Midiman" cables.  I believe I bought them when I was using Windows XP and a midi keyboard. I thought I'd connect up a new electric keyboard and see if I liked importing into NWC that way. I never liked my old midi keyboard, as it was just a controller, and it never felt like I was really "playing" a piano. With the new keyboard, I thought I might have more success in capturing composition ideas.

However, the driver is outdated and won't work on Windows 7 or 10, and M-audio, the company that produces the Uno driver, is no longer supporting the product. I am guessing that means that they aren't writing new drivers that are compatible. Something about 32 bits and 64 bits. My xp computer is long gone, and I wondered if there is a workaround solution? When I googled about the situation, I found this website:

https://backread.info/drivers/m-audio/m-audio-usb-midisport-uno-midi-27/

Not being very "techie", I am right in guessing that a programmer might have written a driver to over this problem? If so, how would I know if it is safe to download?

It bugs me that something I invested in is no longer usable. I remember it not being inexpensive. I didn't use it very much because I found that I had better control by using the note entry method instead. If it's safe and possible, I'd like to try again using a better keyboard. Now that I have a lap top, I could even hook it up to an electric piano at work.

Anyone have thoughts on this situation?

Re: Old Midi interface won't work

Reply #1
As I wrote here, I very recently removed my SB live card from my computer.
In this way I lost its MIDI interface and had to replace it with a device very much similar to your.
I think it was so for XP too, but for sure in Windows7 I had no need for any special driver; the device was identified and made usable as soon as I connected it and it still works flawless.

Reply #2
On a much older computer than I am using now (I think it was Windows XP at the time), I had a MIDI interface, and was able to use the MIDI In with NWC to enter a score from the keyboard, as well as with MIDI sequencing software on the PC. During the intervening years, I didn't have a MIDI keyboard near my PC, so I stopped using that feature. But not too long ago, I regained one, a Yamaha P250 stage piano, which has a built-in USB interface that emulates MIDI with the appropriate Yamaha driver installed on the PC. I don't remember what version of Windows I had when I got it, but I have Windows 10 now, and although MIDI Out works fine for playing music in NWC from the PC to the keyboard, I've never been able to get MIDI In to work for step recording. There's might be something wrong with the USB MIDI driver (which might not have been certified for Windows 10) because I tried a rudimentary MIDI recorder program, and could not get that to work either.  However, I have seen numerous people post here with problems trying to get MIDI input working with NWC, and I wonder if there is ANYONE out there who has ever gotten it working with Windows 10.  Perhaps it stopped working as of some version of Windows (or some version of NWC)?

Reply #3
Uhm...
I used the SB MIDI I/O with XP for a long time and it worked.
Now I'm using the USB-MIDI interface and it works perfectly with both XP and 7.
I'm almost sure that when I tried it with my daughter's computer with 10 it worked there too.

Were it not because I just put my computer at its place and fixed all the cables, I'd pull the MIDI interface out and I'd try it with my daughter's computer to confirm.

Reply #4
I wonder if there is ANYONE out there who has ever gotten it working with Windows 10.  Perhaps it stopped working as of some version of Windows (or some version of NWC)?
Yes, no problems, no drivers!

Reply #5
Can you tell me which brand of USB MIDI device you are using? I will buy an external MIDI in place of the built-in USB on my Yamaha keyboard, if it works with both input and output.

Reply #6
For what is worth, mine is a LogiLink ua0037.

Reply #7
Sadly, I can't see any name or product description on it apart from 'USB MIDI' encircled by an image of a  midi cable. Sorry.

Reply #8
This is probably a ridiculous question, but is there a way to change the end of a cable? My old midiman cable is round, like a PS/2 and I don't have any ports like that on my new laptop

Reply #9
This is probably a ridiculous question, but is there a way to change the end of a cable? My old midiman cable is round, like a PS/2 and I don't have any ports like that on my new laptop
There are PS/2 to USB adapters - and vice versa.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #10
It sounds like your Midiman cable is an actual MIDI cable which uses a 5 pin DIN connector at both ends.  It is used to connect one MIDI interface to another.  Your laptop won't have a MIDI interface in it, so you will need to acquire one.  The only real way to do this is a USB to MIDI adaptor - they're relatively cheap and easy to get.

E.G. https://www.amazon.com.au/Converter-Keyboard-Channels-Supports-Computer/dp/B07FDYYBWW
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.