Skip to main content
Topic: chord notes of differing value (Read 3583 times) previous topic - next topic

chord notes of differing value

In a piano score I am writing I am trying to build a chord of differing valued notes. The chord consists of two octave notes (dotted quarters) with two dotted half notes within (between the octave notes) in 6/8 time. The dotted quarter octave notes are meant to move down one tone while the dotted half notes remain constant. When I build the chord NWC allows me to to build the chord top to bottom or bottom to top, except I am unable to add the top (or bottom) octave notes to the chord. I have tried entering the half notes first. NWC allows me to enter the top dotted quarter but not the bottom or vice versa. If I enter both octave notes, NWC does not allow me to enter the dotted half notes inside the octave dotted quarter notes. I've tried using different stem directions but that doesn't work either. I know I can do it with layering staffs but that involves multiple bars of hidden rests all for the sake of the chord notes I can't add. NWC should allow this chord to be built without the layering hassle, no? Or am I missing something?

Re: chord notes of differing value

Reply #1
NWC won't allow that particular kind of construct.  The only solutions I can see are:
a) Layers - this is the most ideal solution.
b) create 2 sets of chords consisting of ALL dotted crotchets (quarters) and tie the inner voices (the ones that would have been dotted minims [halves]) from one chord to the other.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks for that.

Reply #3
Layering is designed to be a workaround for things that can't be notated any other way.  Adding a new staff full of hidden bar lines and hidden rests only takes a few seconds and as described by Bill won't clutter up your edit window if you toggle layering on your edit window.  Thanks, Bill

I don't play piano, so I must ask, how is a pianist going to get two shorter notes of such a chord to end before the two longer notes?  I imagine it can be done on an electronic piano, but is it possible with an acoustic one?  Thanks, Rick.

Reply #4
Layering is designed to be a workaround for things that can't be notated any other way.
I disagree. When multiple voice share the same staff, putting each voice on its own layered staff makes for a clearer presentation.
Layering takes longer to get to the "first draft," but by the final edit you get the time and effort back.
I don't play piano, so I must ask, how is a pianist going to get two shorter notes of such a chord to end before the two longer notes?
You take your foot off the damper pedal and lift your fingers off the short notes.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
If you only need a few notes here and there, there's a much quicker way to create a new layer than adding a new staff full of hidden rests and barlines. Simply duplicate the staff you want to add the extra layer to, mute it, and change or add just those few notes you're concerned about, un-mute them, and mute and/or hide notes on the original staff as needed. You can hide all the duplicate music or not, as you prefer; it won't show anyway.

Reply #6
I was wondering if you get a darker score when you  duplicate? It looks darker on the screen to me and it certainly sounds fuller if the duplicate staff isn’t muted but what about the printing?

Reply #7
It looks darker on the screen to me
It often is. Key signatures are the most obvious to me. I rarely see much difference in printing or generating a pdf.
Registered user since 1996