Skip to main content
Topic: Writing large scores + voices - NWC is, I have to say, a very good program (Read 2367 times) previous topic - next topic

Writing large scores + voices - NWC is, I have to say, a very good program

I just wanted to show you an example of writing a larger score with NWC; and writing a large score from which one can produce both a conductor's score as well as voices.
Here are links to the relevant files - I put them all in public domain, you can use them as you like (including performing them :-)); but you must cite me as original creator of the music and the files - somuch for the "legalese"):

The score is organized as follows:

• The group "Skizze" ("sketch") is used (if at all) for writing the first ideas for melodic and harmonic lines (before that, there's usually writing by hand into a small music notebook)
  • The group "Dirigent" ("conductor") contains the "particell", i.e., all voices in "functional groups".
  • From this, single voices are extracted into "Score in C" ("Score in C-" are instruments not needed in the piece); when this is completed, a first MP3 is produced. I heavily use the great adp_Parts user tool for this.
  • Then, the transposed voices for score printing are created in "Standard" (again, "Standard -" are instruments not needed).
  • Finally, I might create special staffs for playback/MP3s in group "Sound".

Some groups contain "Kopierzeile" ("copy-over") staffs to help with transporting and transposing from one group to the next.

From the "Standard" group, I can actually easily print both a conductor's score as well as voices - I am very impressed that this works with NWC features alone, without any additional tooling.
Here are the requirements:
  • The conductor's score (containing all instruments) must have staff labels on each page; and have all (or all odd) measures numbered between the staff groups that have connected bars; must have rehearsal letters above the top staff; must be scaled so that all staffs fit on one page.
  • The single voices must not have staff labels, but instead an instrument name in the left upper corner; must have measure numbers at the beginning of each line; must of course also have rehearsal letters; must be printed on as few pages as possible; must have a staff size of 6 to 6.5mm (17..19pt), preferably equal over all voices; and - peculiar, but so be it - voices must always fill complete pages. The last requirement produces quite condensed voice scores with 14 staffs, whereas a score with 15 staff is split over two pages with staffs very far apart.

All of the switching between the two layouts (conductor vs. voice) can easily be done with "Single Staff Prints" and "Multi Staff Prints" visibility. A separate empty "Top" contains elements only necessary in the conductor's score. It is layered with the top-most voice (piccolo flute, in the example).

To switch between the printings, I have only to do the following in the "Page Setup" dialog:
  • for conductor's score: in "Contents", select "Standard"; in "Fonts", change font size to 11.5pt; in "Options", set "Staff Labels" to "All Systems" and "Measure Numbers" to "None
  • for individual voices: once, in "Fonts" set size to 17pt; in Options, "Staff Labels" to "None" and "Measure Numbers" to "Plain"; in "Contents", select the single instruments (no, I don't have a tool for that; writing the music takes maybe 20 to 40 net hours for a simple march; iterating through the voices is a leisure job of maybe 30 minutes, including a little bit of reviewing ... I won't automate this!)

I found a single feature (with endings) that irritates me a little - I'll post my wish how I'd like to have it changed in another thread.

Right now, I have no instrument that needs more than one staff for its "voice score" - examples would be piano, drums notated on more than one (single-line) staff, or maybe layered staffs in a single-staff notation. Therefore, the "Single" vs. "Multi Staff Prints" selector works perfectly. WHen I need such instruments I think working with "Top Staff Only" and maybe inserting a separate empty staff above such "multi-staff instruments" should do the trick ...

My staff system evolved over a few months, so there might be old elements in there no longer needed - probably not everything makes sense now. But cleaning up is not my first priority - rahter I'd like to write much more music ...

H.M.

P.S. Just that you don't think I am a "single march composer", here are links to MP3 and score of another one: http://www.hmmueller.de/MyMusic/20170113-bl.Argentina-Marsch.mp3, http://www.hmmueller.de/MyMusic/20170113-bl.Argentina-Marsch-Partitur.pdf ... but yes, right now, just learning to do instrumentation for wind orchestra, I (have to, says my teacher) keep closely to a single style and form. Next year, hopefully, I can/will get more creative :-)

Re: Writing large scores + voices - NWC is, I have to say, a very good program

Reply #1
I've drawn Guade Oide Zeid to the attention of two concert band leaders and hopefully one or the other will play it.  Maybe both.  Thank you for including bass clarinet (my baby in one band).  I will probably transpose that for bassoon and baritone sax, which we have in both bands.  We don't use an Eb clarinet, but again, the part can be transposed for another instrument.

Keep up the wind orchestra work.  There are thousands of community bands and wind orchestras in North America that need new music, and this sounds like a good march.

Do you plan to put Argentina Marsch in the public domain too?

Re: Writing large scores + voices - NWC is, I have to say, a very good program

Reply #2
I've drawn Guade Oide Zeid to the attention of two concert band leaders and hopefully one or the other will play it. 
Wow ... thanks a lot - but - I have to redo it: There are too many things in it that are simply not ok (says my teacher, and do I now understand). I hope to have a useful draft in a week or so ... I'll replace the files with better ones then.
... after all, I'm still a beginner in instrumentation, and it's hard work, I can tell you ...

When I feel a little more confident, and have done 2 or 3 more marches, I'll certainly put pieces into public domain - it's a pure hobby, after all!

H.M.