Skip to main content
Topic: Computer playback (Read 5384 times) previous topic - next topic

Computer playback

Every once in awhile, when I hit "play" the two staffs sound like they are in different keys.  I don't know what makes this happen or how to fix it.  Can't find anything in the User Guide either.  I'm still learning.  Anyone know how to fix this?

Re: Computer playback

Reply #1
Does it happen with every file you play or it's happening only with some scores? Try playing the sample files included with NWC, if they play in the right way then the problem is not with the software configurations and you will need to upload some of the "wrong-playing" files in order to check where is the problem.
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #2
My guess is that (at least) one of the voices is a transposing instrument and the
transposition has not been applied correctly.
(This would always affect playback of the same piece.)

Please submit a sample *.nwc file which has the problem.

There are many who could help you to sort it out.

Reply #3
My guess is that (at least) one of the voices is a transposing instrument and the
transposition has not been applied correctly.
My thought as well.
A pitch bend might also cause this. It is also possible that the synth is not resetting after its last use.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
In addition to what Haymo and Rick have pointed out, there's a possibility that an unrecognized clef change has screwed up the sound. This can happen when notes from one staff are copied to another without being transposed to the second staff's clef. It can also happen when you insert a new clef and then forget and write notes as if you're still in the old one. (Reminder: the current clef is always indicated down in the right-hand corner of the screen.)

As everyone else here has said, if we're going to do more than speculate, we're going to need a sample.

Reply #5
As Rick said, pitch bending could be the culprit.
Either because there is no pitch bending reset at the start of the score or because of a bug like the one described here (still present).

Reply #6
Hi All,
I'm not sure that anyone has found the correct answer to this problem.  I have had a similar occasional problem with my Desktop computer for several years.  The following are some of the facts relating to this problem:
*  It almost invariably occurs on Midi Channel 1 and only on my Desktop (many years old) when using the NWC Main  Program (since Version 2 I think) and while using Windows XP and later Windows 7.,
*  It never occurs on my Laptop or Nexus Tablet computer,
*  It never occurs on my Desktop when using the Noteworthy Viewer (or Sibelius or MuseScore)
*  It results from accidental transposition (by a semitone) of that channel and can be temporarily corrected by re-transposition,

I usually side-step the problem by shifting from Channel 1 to another channel (or by changing to the Viewer for playback).
If the problem occurs early in the notation of a new song I change that staff to another channel.

I hope this messy explanation may help someone to solve the problem.  I haven't reported it before because I thought it must be specific to my ancient Desktop, and was easily overcome .

Cheers,  Bill Denholm

Reply #7
<snip>
*  It results from accidental transposition (by a semitone) of that channel and can be temporarily corrected by re-transposition,

I usually side-step the problem by shifting from Channel 1 to another channel (or by changing to the Viewer for playback).
If the problem occurs early in the notation of a new song I change that staff to another channel.
<snip>
Have you tried pressing <F6> a couple of times instead?  <F6> stops playback, BUT if the score is not playing then it performs a reset of all open MIDI device ports (according to the command reference).

I've also noticed that several presses when not playing a score will open a dialogue box asking if you want to sent a full reset for all notes on all channels.

Also, out of curiosity, what synth are you using and has it been the same one all along?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
As Rick points out, the Pitch Bend controller can cause this. When using it, you have to set it back to the center position. A full reset will also fix this.

Perhaps instrument changes that include pitch bend range should also reset the controller to center....this change will be considered.
(update) NWC already does this.

Update: Also looking into Flurmy's issue...

Reply #9
Thanks for you reply Lawrie.  Happy 2017.  It's been quite a while since we have communicated.  Meanwhile my advanced age is starting to take its toll on my abilities!

I hadn't tried pressing <F6> to perform a reset, and when I did so it seemed to have stopped the problem - but after several minutes of play-back it happened again - - Grrrrr!

For years now I have only used the GS Wavetable Synth, so since I have a SoundMaster card, following  your suggestion I changed to the <SB Audigy 5/Rx Synth A>.  Unfortunately the problem reappeared!

Incidentally I have another old Desktop using Windows XP, and the problem doesn't happen with it either.  (I was able to change from XP to Win 7 with my main Desktop but it would not accept Win 10!!)

I think from all this I must conclude that it is a minor fault with the hardware of my main Desktop.  We appear to have eliminated all other possibilities.

Thanks however for suggesting the F6 usage.  It is certainly a quick solution however temporary.

Regards,
Bill.

Reply #10
Thanks for your reply Noteworthy Online.  I didn't notice that it was there until I had sent my reply to Lawrie. 

As usual Rick appears to be spot on!  I hadn't realised that he meant the Hardware Pitch Bend Controller on my Keyboard.  When I turned off the keyboard the fault appears to have disappeared.

It's past my bedtime so I can't do any prolonged testing until tomorrow.

Cheers,
Bill.

Reply #11
the Hardware Pitch Bend Controller on my Keyboard
I didn't know you have a keyboard connected to the PC.
Well, since you said so, then maybe the thing can make sense: each time the pitch bending controller of the keyboard moves even slightly (I really mean the wheel or joystick) the keyboard sends a pitch bend signal to the computer, possibly directed to channel 1.
Usually there is a spring that keeps the controller in the neutral position but...
So perhaps a slight bump on the keyboard can trigger the detune.

Just guessing, of course.

Reply #12
Dear All,

After all the waffle about the problem in my earlier posts (I apologise for wasting your time) I think it is now clear what the problem is.  If I had correctly interpreted Rick's early suggestion I could have homed in on the solution immediately.

It is indeed caused by the Pitch controller on my Roland PC70 keyboard, which is quite old (bought in 2002).  It appears to have a faulty slider connection.  When I move it the problem appears and when the keyboard is switched off the problem disappears  Thanks Rick.  My apologies for misunderstanding you. 

It is still worth reporting (for what it's worth) that this problem cannot be activated when playing back with Sibelius or MuseScore, so it may be possible to de-activate it in nwc.  There is no problem with the Viewer because the keyboard has no input to it.

Cheers, 
Bill.

Reply #13
If you don't want the keyboard to effect the state of your computer's play back synth, then turn off the echo feature. It is in Tools, Options, Record.

Reply #14
Thanks NW Online :( .  That certainly works.
Unfortunately though I do like to hear the note or chord I'm inputting with the keyboard!  Can't win 'em all I guess.  :(