Topic: What am I doing wrong? (Read 2807 times) previous topic - next topic

What am I doing wrong?

In this

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:n1
|Rest|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Down
|Rest|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Opts:Stem=Down
|Chord|Dur:8th,Triplet,Staccato|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:8th|Pos2:3
|Chord|Dur:8th,Triplet=End,Staccato|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:8th|Pos2:4
|Chord|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First|Dur2:8th|Pos2:n5
|Chord|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam|Dur2:8th|Pos2:6
|Chord|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End|Dur2:8th|Pos2:5
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

The how do I get the top set of notes to beam? Layering could work, but in a full score, that means wrangling 20-some staves. Ugh.

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Reply #1
For some reason, layer with next staff is suppressed.
Check: Allow Layering in Page Setup.

Then:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|WithNextStaff:Layer
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up
|Rest|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Opts:Stem=Up
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:n5|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:6|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-2"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:n1|Opts:Stem=Down
|Rest|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Opts:Stem=Down,VertOffset=-4|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End,Staccato|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End,XNoteSpace=1,ArticulationsOnStem
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Rick did not mention this in his solution, but with split voices (two parts per staff), you can't beam the notes in both directions at once (as you have discovered). The only solution for this is to used layered staves, as in his example.

Reply #3
Erg. This is going to get annoying - there's nine instrumental parts, and at least four of them have similar setups starting around that bar. Well, maybe we'll get an object or update for that.

Reply #4
The most efficient way I know to make a layered staff quickly is to complete the main staff first and then:

• Make a new staff below the main staff and copy the main staff onto it. Layer the main staff with it.
  • Select the entire new staff and set everything to visibility:never.
  • With the new staff still selected, mute all the notes. (Do NOT use the staff mute function for this; you'll need to be able to turn some of the notes back on.)
  • Copy the notes in the spot you need the layer and paste them over the invisible muted notes at the same location in the new staff. This will give you visible, unmuted notes in both layers.
  • Make the necessary adjustments. (For beamed notes in both voices on a single staff, this involves removing one voice from each staff and beaming the other. But you probably already knew that.)

Hope this helped a bit -

Bill

Reply #5
I agree with Bill, with one minor "extra"
Since the problem seems to be a full screen, I'd set a colour for the new staff so it would be easy to see which was the original and which was the copy of each staff. When finished notation, just change the new staff colour back to the default.

Reply #6
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. In this case, where I was inputting a score that was fairly constantly having two beamed sets of notes against each other, it was easier to just do it as two scores, but it's a useful trick for things like the vocal score, where minor differences between verses need two layered staves - but much more irregularly.