Skip to main content
Topic: Wish List - Orchestral Bracket toggle. (Read 2669 times) previous topic - next topic

Wish List - Orchestral Bracket toggle.

Page layout:
Page 1            Page 2
  --------          ---------
  =======          ---------

------- represents collapsed sections, where only the first system will be printed.  ===== represents uncollapsed sections.

I want to use both Orchestral Bracket and Bars Connected in the two system sections to make them very obviously different.

While Bars Connected is only effective in uncollapsed sections, the Orchestral Bracket starts every visible system, regardless of whether it is part of a collapsed section or not. It looks a bit incongruous.

It would be nice if either the Orchestral Bracket would disappear automatically when the systems are collapsed to one system, as happens with Grand Staff, or if the Orchestral Bracket could be toggled on and off in the midst of a piece.

Re: Wish List - Orchestral Bracket toggle.

Reply #1
Also nested brackets.  In the string section, the 1st and 2nd violins are often in their own subsection.
Since 1998

Reply #2
But it is accepted practice in an orchestral full score (cf Dover and Boosey) to retain the orchestral bracket even when there is only one instrument in the section is playing.

Reply #3
Also, in regards to nesting brackets - grand staff braces, not an additional layer of brackets, are what is usually used outside orchestra brackets to group parts within a section (such as first and second violins). NWC does that just fine. But I can see that there might be times when you'd want to turn a bracket (or a brace) off.

Reply #4
But it is accepted practice in an orchestral full score (cf Dover and Boosey) to retain the orchestral bracket even when there is only one instrument in the section is playing.

I should have made it clear that my two pages were a part for a single instrument, not a score. 

There are 11 visible systems on the first page.  The --- is where the second staff has been collapsed.  The == is where the staffs become uncollapsed.  The uncollapsed section is a repeated section where the notes are different on the first and second times. 

I want system 4 to be very clearly connected to system 5, same for system 6 and 7 and system 8 and 9.