Skip to main content
Topic: NWC to WAV (Read 2486 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC to WAV

I searched the forum and posts on this topic are literally over a decade old. Is there a simple way to convert the .nwc files to wav? My new computer no longer has the ability to record in stereo mix. Also if I export to midi then play the midi file, the sound is not a good as directly in noteworthy composer. I'm surprised the program at this stage version 2.75 (last time I used it it was version 1.70) does not include an export to wav function.

Thanks

Re: NWC to WAV

Reply #1
Creating the .wav requires the involvement of your synth.  NWC outputs MIDI only - like ALL notation programs - the audio is generated by the synth, some are seemlessly integrated and some are discrete.

Regardles of the level of integration, a synth must still be used to create a .wav and there must be a recorder of some kind, not necessarily obvious - it may be discrete or integrated. 

The loss of "Stereo Mix" is purely a function of your sound card - there will be an equivalent, like "What-U-Hear"...  What software are you using to record?  I use Audacity.

The difference between your MIDI player and NWC will be the assigned synth - yours are clearly different as there is a difference in quality.  If you can assign the same synth to your MIDI player as NWC uses then the audio quality will be the same.

If you are using a version of Windows that is Vista or later then there is no native way to assign a specific MIDI synth to the native MIDI player (Windows Media Player) - XP was the last to have this control panel applet.

There are other MIDI players out there (like Van Basco's Karaoke Player - http://www.vanbasco.com ) that allow for MIDI synth selection from within the program, just like NWC does.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
There is a free midi to mp3 converter program available to download. I know mp3s are not as good a quality as wav but from there it is easy to convert to wav.

I haven't given a link deliberately as YMMV but a google search will quickly lead you to one.

John

Nil illigitemae carborundum

Reply #3
There's also an excellent online MIDI to MP3 converter at http://solmire.com/. Just go the page and follow the instructions. They ask if they can keep the metadata from your upload, but you don't have to say yes. I find the best results come from using the FluidR3 soundfont, so you will have to change from the default.