Skip to main content
Topic: How can I create a single staff orchestral bracket? (Read 2645 times) previous topic - next topic

How can I create a single staff orchestral bracket?

Hello again,

some months ago, I asked some questons in this forum, and I got some wonderful help by some of you! First of all: thanks a lot!
Now I got a new problem, and I hope that some of you will have an idea how to solve it:

when creating an orchestral score, it is sometimes necessary to add an orchestral bracket to a single staff (f. ex. in a Mozart symphony when the oboes are the only woodwinds participating). The problem is: if a use the layering function for the first and second oboe, I don't know how to get an orchestral bracket only for this single staff (which then consists of two staffs layered together).

I added you one of the scores in which I need this single staff orchestral bracket. And I just created an example of the first page in a graphic programm, to show you how I want the score to look like.

I would be glad if someone of you had an idea how to solve this problem.
Thanks in advance! :-)

Greetings from (actually very rainy) Germany

Re: How can I create a single staff orchestral bracket?

Reply #1
Hello again,

some months ago, I asked some questons in this forum, and I got some wonderful help by some of you! First of all: thanks a lot!
Now I got a new problem, and I hope that some of you will have an idea how to solve it:

when creating an orchestral score, it is sometimes necessary to add an orchestral bracket to a single staff (f. ex. in a Mozart symphony when the oboes are the only woodwinds participating). The problem is: if a use the layering function for the first and second oboe, I don't know how to get an orchestral bracket only for this single staff (which then consists of two staffs layered together).

I added you one of the scores in which I need this single staff orchestral bracket. And I just created an example of the first page in a graphic programm, to show you how I want the score to look like.

I would be glad if someone of you had an idea how to solve this problem.
Thanks in advance! :-)

Greetings from (actually very rainy) Germany

Hello jfb,

The way to do this is to add an additional empty staff, and position it below the single (or layered) staff you want to show with a bracket. Then, extend the bracket to that staff, and insert a single Boundary object in that staff, marked as "Start a collapsible section". The empty staff will be visible in edit view, but it will give you the desired results during printing.

I am attaching an updated copy of the score you attached, with these edits in place.  Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: How can I create a single staff orchestral bracket?

Reply #2
hello mike,

wow, that's perfectly what I was looking for! Thanks for your quick help!

Greetings,
jfb