Skip to main content
Topic: Problem with Single Note Tremolo Plugin (Read 4583 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with Single Note Tremolo Plugin

I've been editing some of my scores using version 2.75's new featured plugin objects. By and large, they are wonderful additions to the program. However, one peculiar thing has been happening after I started replacing a lot of string repeated notes with tremolos: the single note tremolo sign started showing up in unexpected places in the score, with no "object" preceding the notes it was affecting. Has anyone had this problem? If so, is there a way to fix it? It seems like a possible bug with the plugin.

Thanks,

Re: Problem with Single Note Tremolo Plugin

Reply #1
I've been editing some of my scores using version 2.75's new featured plugin objects. By and large, they are wonderful additions to the program. However, one peculiar thing has been happening after I started replacing a lot of string repeated notes with tremolos: the single note tremolo sign started showing up in unexpected places in the score, with no "object" preceding the notes it was affecting. Has anyone had this problem? If so, is there a way to fix it? It seems like a possible bug with the plugin.

Thanks,
Can you include a screen shot and/or attach a score where this is occurring? I have not seen this behavior before.

EDIT: By any chance, do any of your TremoloSingle.ms objects have the Class set to StaffSig? This option is not used (or supported) for Tremolo objects, and could produce the results you are seeing.

Thanks,
Mike

Reply #2
Thanks for your reply. Please see the excerpts below. The first one shows a random tremolo in NWC score, where I put no object in front of it. The second screenshot shows a place where no tremolo, and no object, appears in the NWC score, but the print preview nonetheless shows a tremolo, again in the viola line.

I don't think I selected staff sig anywhere, but I'll have to go through my score and inspect each tremolo to find out.

Thanks again

Reply #3
Thanks for your reply. Please see the excerpts below. The first one shows a random tremolo in NWC score, where I put no object in front of it. The second screenshot shows a place where no tremolo, and no object, appears in the NWC score, but the print preview nonetheless shows a tremolo, again in the viola line.

I don't think I selected staff sig anywhere, but I'll have to go through my score and inspect each tremolo to find out.

Thanks again
You should know that the TremoloSingle custom object (and many other objects) will affect the first note that the object "finds" to its right. Therefore, it's possible that you inserted an extra TremoloSingle object somewhere upstream of measure 338, with intervening rests between it and the note that is showing the unwanted tremolo marking. The easiest way to tell if this is happening is to put your cursor before the first note in measure 338 (triplet A flat) and do Edit > Find...  In that dialog, enter |User|* as the search text and click Previous. If there is a stray object to the left, it will find it.

For the second screen shot, without seeing the measures before 393, it is difficult to tell if the same thing is happening there. If you are willing to share the .nwc score file, I can make sure there is not something else happening.

I see a 3rd screen shot, but that seems to be a duplicate of #2.

Thanks,
Mike

Reply #4
Thanks Mike. I was able to remove some of the stray tremolos by making sure that all of the tremolos in the score are "standard" and not "sig," but that didn't get rid of all of them. Some of them only show up in the print preview and not in the score itself. I can share the full nwc file with you if you promise not to share it with anyone else. Is there a way to share files through the forum?

Thanks again

Reply #5
I can share the full nwc file with you if you promise not to share it with anyone else. Is there a way to share files through the forum?

Thanks again
Hello again,

Please check your personal messages.

Reply #6
Hello again,

Please check your personal messages.
Just following up publicly on this issue. The extra tremolos that were showing in the score were caused by two additional TremoloSingle objects having their Class property set to StaffSig rather than Standard. (There are 541 tremolo objects in the score, so it took a while to track this down :) )  I am looking into a fix to the object that will prevent this sort of behavior, for this and other objects for which Class=StaffSig does not make sense.

Thanks,
Mike

Reply #7
Hi Mike,
I had a look into the code for TremoloSingle AND PageTxtMaestro  to see if I could find any instance of setting the class.

I found nothing in TremoloSingle, BUT in PageTxtMaestro I found this function:
Code: [Select · Download]
local function obj_create(t)
t.Class = 'StaffSig'
end

It seems to me that if you added a similar function but set to 'Standard' instead of 'StaffSig' you could at least force a default that makes sense.  That way it should be possible to make it less likely that the Class would be incorrectly set.

Ideally it would be good if the dialogue box 'Class' option could also be disabled.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Hi Mike,
I had a look into the code for TremoloSingle AND PageTxtMaestro  to see if I could find any instance of setting the class.

I found nothing in TremoloSingle, BUT in PageTxtMaestro I found this function:
local function obj_create(t)
 t.Class = 'StaffSig'
end

It seems to me that if you added a similar function but set to 'Standard' instead of 'StaffSig' you could at least force a default that makes sense.  That way it should be possible to make it less likely that the Class would be incorrectly set.

Ideally it would be good if the dialogue box 'Class' option could also be disabled.
I don't need to set the Class to Standard because that is the default value when an object is created. However, as you point out, there currently is no way to prevent the user from accidentally (or intentionally) changing its value.

One thing I am considering is adding an "audit" event to this object (and possibly others) that will force Class back to Standard. However, that assumes that there is not a legitimate reason for someone to set a tremolo's Class to StaffSig.

Thanks,
Mike

Reply #9
Hi Mike,
I don't need to set the Class to Standard because that is the default value when an object is created. However, as you point out, there currently is no way to prevent the user from accidentally (or intentionally) changing its value.
Yeah, I appreciate it is the default, but it doesn't hurt to have both "belt and braces" sometimes which was my thought.

What benefit could there be in setting this object to StaffSig?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #10
Yeah, I appreciate it is the default, but it doesn't hurt to have both "belt and braces" sometimes which was my thought.
Adding the code to set Class to Standard on object creation would have no effect or benefit, since Class already has a value of Standard when an object is created. The user could still change the value in the dialog. And the "create" event doesn't get called when an object is copied/pasted. The only ways to force its value to Standard would be an "audit" event (which executes when the score is loaded, or during a refresh), or adding code to the script to "block" the drawing and playback for a StaffSig occurrence of the object (but not its initial instance). I would prefer not to do the latter, since I think it would be a bit messy and might affect performance.
What benefit could there be in setting this object to StaffSig?
Besides keeping tech support on their toes, I can think of none. :)

Reply #11
(There are 541 tremolo objects in the score, so it took a while to track this down :) ) <snip> I am looking into a fix to the object that will prevent this sort of behavior, for this and other objects for which Class=StaffSig does not make sense.
Just use GlobalMod with:
User:TremoloSingle.ms Class=
Registered user since 1996

Reply #12
Just use GlobalMod with:
User:TremoloSingle.ms Class=
One of the nice things about NWC is that there are multiple ways to do things, to address all levels of users. In this case, an existing user tool, filtered properties, or audit hook actions.

Thanks for the additional suggestion.

Mike