Skip to main content
Topic: Getting NWC Output to SynthFont (Read 2315 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting NWC Output to SynthFont

I've searched the forum but couldn't find a solution (that I could understand).  Can anyone help with this?

It's on Windows XP.  Installed is SynthFont, Midi-Yoke, and Midi-OX.

NWC doesn't show SynthFont as an output option (Tools-Options menu).  It does show the 8 outputs to Midi-Yoke.

Midi-OX shows the 8 inputs and 8 outputs for Midi-Yoke.  But nowhere is SynthFont listed. 

All the programs are seen as installed in XP. 

The objective is to get NWC to output to SynthFont.  I'm at a loss for what to do next.

Many thanks for helping.

... Joe

Re: Getting NWC Output to SynthFont

Reply #1
I haven't done this for years, but if memory serves, you need to have SynthFont running (IIRC MIDIYoke runs as a service).

Then, launch NWC and select a MIDIYoke port for output.  Go to the SynthFont interface and select the same numbered MIDIYoke port as the input, select the correct audio device for output, load your preferred SoundFont and save the config so you don't have to do it this way every time.

Play something in NWC and it should be audible.   Note that you don't need to run MIDI-OX for this to work, but MIDI-OX does give you some patching and monitoring options that can be of use in troubleshooting and more complex MIDI connections.

This is all from memory and it's possible I've mixed a few steps with other products but the gist will be correct.  I'd give you more detail, but I don't have it installed on my current system.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thank you, Lawrie -- that's got it.

Now for dealing with the latency ...  It's an old Thinkpad T60p laptop here.  Lots of choppy passages and dropped notes in playback.  How I miss the desktop PC with the SoundBlaster Audigy 2, that had plenty of hardware for handling big soundbanks.  It looks like it's going to be software synths from now on.

Many thanks for the help.  It went together perfectly as you described it.

Cheers,

Joe

Reply #3
Hi Joe,
glad to have been able to help.

As for latency etc. you might try the "ASIO4ALL" driver - it doesn't play well with other sound related stuff so don't expect to multitask NWC and watch a video in youtube etc. but other than that it works well.

I forget how to put it together with SynthFont though...  I seem to recall SynthFont allows you to use an ASIO output rather than mapping to the audio interface in windoze and then ASIO4ALL does the rest.

You do need to configure ASIO4ALL properly and if you check the Scripto, I have a guide there for VST that uses the ASIO4ALL driver and goes through the important setup points.  Checkout the ASIO4ALL section:

http://nwc-scriptorium.org
Click on "Helpful Files" on the right side, then click "VST With Noteworthy".  My document is called: "VST For Dummies Like Me"

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Thank you, Lawrie.  I'll look into ASIO4ALL at a later time (leaving for extended trip due to illness in family).  NWC with SynthFont and Midi-Yoke are working perfectly together now, and all's well with access to soundbanks.  That's a major step.

Many thanks again for all the help.

Joe