Skip to main content
Topic: Test Release: nwc2musicxml (Read 13985 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Downgrade to 2.5.5

Test Release: nwc2musicxml

Posted a binary update/release of Nicolas Froment's ( @lasconic ) nwc2musicxml that can be run locally as a NWC User Tool:

https://github.com/nwsw/nwc2musicxml/releases/tag/test_0.3

In order to use this release, you must have installed Java SE (Java run-time environment).

If you download the included *.jar file, you can then configure it as a user tool from Tools, User Tool, New...

A screenshot of the configuration is attached.

Note: Updated to version test_0.3 on 02-Jun-2016

Re: Test Release: nwc2musicxml

Reply #1
I have made a few test runs of the tool, but haven't tried to import the results into any other programs just yet. However, I've noticed a few anomalies:

1. If the score contains hairpins, text similar to the following will be printed in the STDOUT window prior to the XML:
Crescendo
Crescendo
Crescendo
Stop
Stop
Diminuendo
Stop
Diminuendo
Stop
Diminuendo
Stop
Stop
Stop
Stop

2. I received an exception when running this for one score:

Code: [Select · Download]
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "9.5"
 at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
 at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
 at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
 at fr.lasconic.nwc2musicxml.model.Tempo.parse(Tempo.java:49)
 at fr.lasconic.nwc2musicxml.convert.Nwc2MusicXML.processLine(Nwc2MusicXML.java:550)
 at fr.lasconic.nwc2musicxml.convert.Nwc2MusicXML.convert(Nwc2MusicXML.java:80)
 at fr.lasconic.nwc2musicxml.convert.Nwc2MusicXML.main(Nwc2MusicXML.java:1519)
It appears to have been caused by a Tempo object with Pos:9.5. Changing the Tempo object's position to an integer value prevents the exception.

Reply #2
I have made a few test runs of the tool, but haven't tried to import the results into any other programs just yet.

In my experience, a successful import depends largely on the source material. I am not necessarily going to fix all of the possible problems. This is largely provided as-is.

I updated the release to test_0.11, which includes the fixes for your reported issues.

Reply #3
I've tried this out and it provided an xml score that loaded successfully into another music program.
This was not without errors (such as missing fermata, missing accidentals ) .  But given the following :

I'm not sure that I want to spend time checking between source and output and then documenting errors, particularly since the opposite conversion of mxml to nwc2 , that I would find much more useful, does not appear to be on the cards.

Rich.

Reply #4
the opposite conversion of mxml to nwc2 , that I would find much more useful, does not appear to be on the cards.

IMHO Both are useful and both should be on the cards.  Maybe for version 3.0 ?

Test Release: nwc2musicxml test_0.2

Reply #5
In this update:

• new -utsave option for saving directly to an xml file
  • basic support for note beams

Reply #6
<snip>
In order to use this release, you must have an up to date Java run-time environment installed on your machine.
<snip>
Damn - I have some Cisco tools I MUST use that will not run in current Java releases - I need to be about 3 years (currently) out of date :(
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Thanks Eric,
when my head is up to it I'll take a closer look.

Reply #9
I changed the build target to Java SE 6, and then rebuilt the tool. Perhaps that will help...

Reply #10
Wonderful!!!  Worked a treat.

Thanks mate :D :D :D

Reply #11
Thanks  - it will be great when conversion NWC <---> XML is available natively in NWC

Reply #12
Looks promissing. How can I use it to try it out?
I downloaded the "update" from reply #5; I only received a warning when I used the user tool.
test_0.11 from reply #2? or the earlier "included *jar file?
I'm a layman in these matters.

Reply #14
This has been updated to fix issues with notes in the Tenor clef.

Reply #15
Quick question: Is there a way to set the default output directory? It automatically goes to My Documents and I would like to set another one as default if possible.

Reply #16
I just updated http://nwc2musicxml.appspot.com/ with the fixes made by "Noteworthy Online" and a couple other fixes. It also have a new UI. Enjoy!

Reply #17
And another update. The converter now supports Coda, Segno and voltas. Thanks to Tim Hedger-Gourlay.
http://nwc2musicxml.appspot.com/

Reply #18
lasconic, thanks a ton for this converter!  Unfortunately, it doesn't correctly assign lyrics to notes when different lyric lines use different voices to reflect a change in rhythm from one verse to another.  Which makes almost every real converted file unusable without a large amount of additional work.  Any chance you could fix that?  ( I don't know java or have any working knowledge of the .nwctxt format, otherwise I'd help.)

Reply #19
I started to write a tool for converting musicxml to nwctxt.
Until a month ago I never opened a musicxml file. But I found the documentation on https://www.musicxml.com/. There's a tutorial, but it doesn't cover everything, and the rest of the documantation isn't very easy to master. Another great help was lasonic's tool.  So I could study the xml-files from several of my own nwctxt files, which are all choral scores.
My next step will be to download some bigger files from the scriptorium and run lactoniscs tool on them, so I can compare the output of my tool with the original nwc-file.

But after that I'd like to test with 'external' xml files. So If you could send me such files, with their corresponding pdf, I would be very grateful. You can include them as a reply to this post, or send a personal message.

Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #21
Dear Opagust,

Musescore can export files into musicxml format.
So what you can do is to search for midi files on the internet (or create them from NWC files), import them in Musescore and export as musicxml file.
With this detour you can create for your tests more musicxml files that you can ever verify. See one attached example.

Bart

Reply #22
Sorry, Bart, but I disagree.
If you pass through MIDI you lose too many typographic details.
It is much better to seek the internet for some well done Musescore parts and export them in musicxml.