Skip to main content
Topic: TransposeStaffs.og (Read 5415 times) previous topic - next topic

TransposeStaffs.og

This tool transposes the instruments (*) of all staffs up or down by the given number of semitones.
Exception: A staff with Channel = 10 will not be transposed.

(*) This involves:
 - adjusting the Staff Property Instrument Transposition value;
 - adjusting the transposition values of any instrument changes;
 - adjusting the StaffTranspose parameter of any Ottavamatic.ms objects.

See also :
Transpose a whole score
Always look on the bright side of life!

Re: TransposeStaffs.og

Reply #1
I cannot get this to be seen/loaded into nwc.  All other lua scripts install and work fine and update regularly.  This one cannot be "seen" by nwc.  Am I doing something wrong ?

Reply #2
I cannot get this to be seen/loaded into nwc.  All other lua scripts install and work fine and update regularly.  This one cannot be "seen" by nwc.  Am I doing something wrong ?
I don't know what you did, but this is what you should have done:
After downloading the file to your computer, start the NWC program and  open a NWC file. Then drag and drop the file over your NWC window and confirm.

Reply #3
I think that you are assuming that TransposeStaffs.og is a User Object.
It is not.
TransposeStaffs.og is a User Tool.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
As you can see it's not too easy to tell which is which.
For the occasional user it's almost impossible.

And the naming TransposeStaffs.og doesn't help either.
Often the user tools have names like adp_GlobalMod or nwsw_Unjazzify.
TransposeStaffs.og is formally reminiscent of a user object.

Reply #5
This user tool only adjusts the Staff Property Instrument Transposition value; it doesn't adjust the transposition values of any instrument changes within each staff. These changes would also be needed to keep the score sounding right.

Bonus change: if any of the staves contain Ottavamatic.ms objects, these objects need to have their StaffTranspose parameters updated by the same number of steps during a staff transpose.  Stated differently, the object's StaffTranspose parameter is generally set to the same value as the Staff Properties Instrument Transposition setting for the staff it is on.

Also, I agree with @Flurmy  about the file naming; including the NWC plugin ID in the filename will confuse some users into thinking it's a custom object.

Reply #6
This user tool only adjusts the Staff Property Instrument Transposition value; it doesn't adjust the transposition values of any instrument changes within each staff. These changes would also be needed to keep the score sounding right.

Bonus change: if any of the staves contain Ottavamatic.ms objects, these objects need to have their StaffTranspose parameters updated by the same number of steps during a staff transpose.  Stated differently, the object's StaffTranspose parameter is generally set to the same value as the Staff Properties Instrument Transposition setting for the staff it is on.

Also, I agree with @Flurmy  about the file naming; including the NWC plugin ID in the filename will confuse some users into thinking it's a custom object.
I included adjustments on Instrument Changes and Ottavamatic.ms objects and removed the '.og' in the file name.

Reply #7
removed the '.og' in the file name.
I'ld suggest to put "og_" at the beginning, i.e. og_TransposeStaffs.
As already stated, there is no official standard, but anyway...

Ehm... but, according to my vocabulary, the plural of "staff" should not be "staves"?

Reply #8
Ehm... but, according to my vocabulary, the plural of "staff" should not be "staves"?
In music both are correct, I think.  Usage seems to depend which side of the ocean(s) the writer comes from.