Skip to main content
Topic: Transpose a whole score (Read 5185 times) previous topic - next topic

Transpose a whole score

I know that in the past a wish-list item has been an expansion of the "Transpose" function to work not only on one Staff at a time but in addition, and if so chosen, on the entire (multi-staff) Score in one fell swoop.  This latter would be very convenient when trying to match/compare a previously-written NWC Score with a recording of the Work that has been made at a lower pitch - typical of many Classical pieces which were originally intended for playing at "Baroque" pitch (C=415) rather than modern pitch (C=440).  Changing an orchestral score staff by staff, while perfectly possible, is a bit of a drag!  And it's especially irritating for me, when working on a Choral Score, such as a Mass, with maybe ten or more independent sections.

So: can we do a "whole Score" transpose now, with 2.75 (if so, I can't find how!), or ... has someone made a User Tool for this?

MusicJohn, 4/Oct/15

Re: Transpose a whole score

Reply #1
The Viewer can be used to transpose the play back of a file.

If you actually want to transpose all staffs, you should probably do them one staff at a time. Theoretically, a user tool could be made to do this. If you just want to set the staff transposition in staff properties, a global mod expression like this might help:

Code: [Select · Download]
StaffInstrument Trans+=2

This expression transposes the play back of all staffs up by two semitones.

Reply #2
Take care of channel 10!  :D

Reply #3
Excellent point...if you use that expression, you will need to fix any percussion staffs.

Reply #4
If you just want to set the staff transposition in staff properties, a global mod expression like this might help:
StaffInstrument Trans+=2
To change all the transpositions, use:
StaffInstrument,Trans Trans+=2 Instrument,Trans Trans+=2
But, as Flurmy says, you will need to reset anything assigned to the drum channel(s)
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
"The Viewer can be used to transpose the play back of a file."

[/quote]

Reply #6

Sorry: I hit the wrong key!

"The Viewer can be used to transpose the play back of a file."

Ah.  I didn't know that.  But ... if it can, then presumably the main NWC ought to be able to - could easily be modified to - do such a global transpose as well?

And ... if I could send the transposed version to NWC2 - which I can't; probably because I'm still using W2K I get an error message

"The Windows Shell reports that the file
   could not be opened using the "open with
   NWC Version 2" verb.  NWC 2 may not be
   completely installed on your system"

- or to NWC 1 - which again I can't but this time because the choice is "greyed out" - I think I'd be happy.

At the moment I am totally higgorant about global mods and the like.

MusicJohn, 4/Oct/15

Reply #8
   Thanks for all your comments.  Once I move over to NWC2 - 2.75 - I will endeavour to make use of them.

Meanwhile ... still using W2K I fear I may have to continue adjusting each staff, one by one, changing the pitch using the Staff Properties (F2)/Midi window (in 2.75, of course, this pitch control has been moved over to the selected Instrument Window). 

It really, really would be nice if I could transpose - ie, modify the pitch - the lot all in one fell swoop!

Of course, one possibility, albeit rather time-consuming, is to convert the File to nwctxt, do a find-and-replace of the several "trans" commands, and then convert back to plain nwc.  That works - provided I choose the right variety of plain text to convert back to - though it's a bit draggy to import to 2.75, save as nwctxt, load into Notepad and do the f-&-r and save, import back into 2.75, and finally export as 1.75.  Still, worth doing with a File with lots of staves.

MusicJohn, 12/Oct/15

Reply #9
Hello MusicJohn,

Does the following tool meet your needs?

TransposeScore
Always look on the bright side of life!