Skip to main content
Topic: Can I send a single staff to different midi channels? (Read 2405 times) previous topic - next topic

Can I send a single staff to different midi channels?

I like a sound that is a combination of a slow starting sound (like synth strings/warm pad) and a fast decading sound (like grand piano). This is also helpful to identify low quality chords when I am working with a new arrangement for our choir.

To achieve this kind of sound, I always duplicate all my staves and allocate the desired midi channels to both of the staves.
But, this way, when I want to rework some of the measures, I always have to make the corrections twice.

Therefore my question: Is it possible to send a single staff to 2 or more midi channels instead of having to duplicate the staff?

If it is not possible - what I think - what options do I have?

* Should I create a new soundfont based on existing sounds?
* Should I try send the output to a kind of VST (synthfont/midiox/...) where duplication could be "easier"?
* Or ... ?

Bart

Re: Can I send a single staff to different midi channels?

Reply #1
Is it possible to send a single staff to 2 or more midi channels instead of having to duplicate the staff?
No.

User Tool. If you can figure out a way to let a User Tool know which staff is to contain the staff notation of another staff ...
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
If you have access to a VST host, there is no reason I can see that you couldn't patch to 2 synths and control the synth voices in the VST synth rather than in NWC - haven't tried it, but I expect it to work.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Thank you, Rick, Lawry, for your feedback.
I will follow the paths that you indicate.

Bart

Reply #4
... for example, in Reaper, you can simply set up two tracks that listen to the same MIDI channel: One of the tracks would play strings, the other piano. I'd believe that's all you need ...

Regards
Harald M.