Skip to main content
Topic: Durable Section Close (Read 1667 times) previous topic - next topic

Durable Section Close

I'm new to all this.

I started a new file, and selected "SATB." The new file opened with a 'section close' that will neither go away nor move. Although I started with cursor to the left of it, everything entered (other than key signature and time signature) ends up to the right of it. So it prints right on top of the key signature.

How do I get rid of this thing?

Re: Durable Section Close

Reply #1
The section close items that you talk about will be the section close at the end of the piece you are entering and so they will need to be there - there are ways of changing this but you probably don't need to do this.

What you have done is to open a template that uses layering and so that is confusing what you see.

First of all, for the time being, you need to turn layering off so that you can see what you are doing clearly on each staff (for the SATB template there are 4  S   A   T and B staffs)

Go to the View menu and deselect the tick on the item "layering in edit mode"  (There are other ways to turn this off but since you are new to this, I am giving you perhaps the easiest to find)

You should now be able to see all 4 staffs rather than 2.

You can now enter each of the notes for each of the staffs and you will see that the section close remains on the right of the cursor.
When you have finished entering all 4 staffs, you can turn layering back on so that the Soprano staff will be layered above the Alto staff and the Tenor staff will be layered over the Bass staff.

You will find that you need to do other things because you are layering staffs - such as moving accidentals or changing the lengths of stems - but these items are all available from the various menus available to you.  Stick with it.

Rich.