Skip to main content
Topic: Dedication information (Read 4248 times) previous topic - next topic

Dedication information

Is there a way to add the dedication information below the song title so that it will be listed on the print copy?

Re: Dedication information

Reply #1
Create a text object with the dedication information, center it in the top system of music, and then raise it into place beneath the title using <Ctrl><Shift><up-arrow>. The object will  disappear off the top of the screen, but it will show up in the printout. You will have to go back and forth between Print Preview and the editor to adjust the placement.

Reply #2
With your permission I'll join this discussion =p
[...], center it in the top system of music, [...]
Is there an easy way to do it?  Every time I've done this it has been very difficult for me to center the text objet just at the center of page... If there's a way to do it, please tell me ^___^
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #3
Make your text Centred at next note/bar, then position the anchor so it is just prior to a note or barline that is very close to the horizontal centre.

It might be necessary to use spacers to adjust the objects position to get it "just so".
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
If you don't need staff labels, the attachment shows an approach that I use.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Thanks a lot for your answers ^__^
RICK, that was a very great idea, good job =)
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #6
I agree that the approach @Rick G. used is quite novel. He has shared a similar sample before, but I don't think I've seen a description of his approach, so I thought I would try to describe how it works:
  • Make sure that the score suppresses the normal title / author / lyricist display.
  • Add an extra staff, layered with the top staff of the system, with the number of staff lines set to 0. We'll call this the "title staff"
  • Insert an extra measure for all staves, and insert boundary change collapse/uncollapse commands before/after this measure for all staves except the title staff.
  • In the first measure of each staff, insert a whole rest and add a system break after that measure. This gives a single measure for the first system.
  • Insert text items in the first measure of the title staff that you want to be displayed at the top of the score, choosing an appropriate font. For items that you want to be on the left, insert them to the left of the rest, and choose Left alignment, Best Fit. For items that you want to be centered, insert them to the left of the rest, and choose Center alignment, At Next Note/Bar. For items that you want to be right aligned, insert them to the right of the rest, and choose Right alignment, Best Fit Forward or At Next Note/Bar.  Adjust each text item's vertical position as needed.
  • Collapse the title staff after the system break, and insert boundary change margin adjustments if needed to preserve the required space.
  • On Page Setup > Options, set the starting measure to 0, to offset for the dummy measure that was inserted. This will maintain the correct measure count in the remainder of the score.

I also notice that Rick has inserted large spacers to the left & right of the whole rest in the first system. This allows the title text to be previewed while in Edit mode, but does not appear to affect the print preview.

All in all, I like this tip/trick. If I have described anything incorrectly or left out an important step, please let me know.

Mike

Reply #7
As always, Rick has come with an 'out of the box' solution.

If you don't need staff labels, the attachment shows an approach that I use.
I'd like to add my observation:
If you do need staff labels, you can use the abbreviated labels instead, which are printed on all but the first system.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #8
If I have described anything incorrectly or left out an important step, please let me know.

Not an important step, but  you should also increase 'Measure Start' in 'Page Setup/Options'.

Gust

Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #9
Not an important step, but you should also increase 'Measure Start' in 'Page Setup/Options'.

Gust
I think you meant that it should be decreased (i.e. set to 0), which is what @Rick G. did in his sample score. I have updated my instructions above.

Thanks,
Mike