Skip to main content
Topic: determining version (Read 2410 times) previous topic - next topic

determining version

Accidentally I overwrite my NWC2.51-file with the NWC1.75. There is a .BAK-file, but I do not know if the .BAK is the original 2.51-file.
On which way can I determine if the .BAK-file (in the meantime renamed to another name and extension .NWC) is my original 2.51 file?

Re: determining version

Reply #1
Accidentally I overwrite my NWC2.51-file with the NWC1.75. There is a .BAK-file, but I do not know if the .BAK is the original 2.51-file.
On which way can I determine if the .BAK-file (in the meantime renamed to another name and extension .NWC) is my original 2.51 file?
You could try running NWC 1.75 and attempt to load the file. If it is a 2.51 format file, it should give you an error.

Mike

Reply #2
You can always use the "Info" option of NWC-CONV which should be located in your Noteworthy 2 program folder.
NWC-CONV is a command line executable and so you will need to drop into a command line (aka DOS or DOS box) before using it.
Rich.

Reply #3
Rich, thanks for your reply. But are you sure?
The file which was saved in the format of 1.75 is reported as a 2.5 file...
Regards,
Guido

Reply #4
The file which was saved in the format of 1.75 is reported as a 2.5 file...
NWC 2.51a can produce only two versions of NWC files: 2.5 and 1.75
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Rich, thanks for your reply. But are you sure?

Yes ! NWC-CONV reports file version of the music file, not necessarily the version of the program used to create the file.

The latest version of NWC-CONV will correctly report all previous versions of NWC. (Note that  version 2.51a nwc2.exe  produces a format 2.5 file).

If you know that you might be asking about a file from the beta series, then you need to add the parameter -t to the command line which will then use nwc2test.exe (if installed) to interrogate the music file and the beta file will be reported as version 2.75.

Note also, that if you save a format 2.5 file  to version 1.75 using the export function, then the file will be reported as version 1.75.  If you load a version 1.75 file into version 2.51a nwc and then save it, from then on, it will be a format 2.5 file even if you have not added any 2.5 functions.
Rich.