Skip to main content
Topic: Trill.ms (2.2) (Read 53378 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trill.ms (2.3)

Reply #101
The playNoteRate array is only used by the audit() method.  ... Since the old object never had a text Eighth value, there's no need to add it to the array for conversion purposes. Does that make sense?
It does - and I didnt look there. Aha!

For a version number, the going rate here is quite low - purchasing another one ... well  :))

Edit: Also, the complete thread would like to get a subject update to Trill.ms (2.3) - or 2.4?  ;)

... I know I'm, hm, getting irritating ...

H.M.

Re: Trill.ms (2.2)

Reply #103
I'm using Mike's trill object for the first time.  Hey, it's only been available about 7 years, these things take time. 

My flatted trill begins with a half note on beat 2 of a 3/4 bar, tied over a 4/4 time change to 21 whole notes, tied to and ending on an 8th note.   I've learned that the only way to display the trill the right number of bars in the edit window or in print preview is to use the Span class setting.    (I didn't check playback; I only use playback as a proofreading tool and I'm not there yet with this transcription.)

Where the trill lasts past a system break, I see (tr) at the beginning of the next system just before the wavy line.  Perhaps on the next update, that could change to show the accidental too?  Otherwise someone reading the chart might wonder if the trill is supposed to change to a normal trill at that point.

That aside, what a wonderful tool, once again.  A little late, but thanks, Mike.

(And for anyone writing for bass clarinet, please don't write trills from 3rd space C to Db for 22 bars.  It's far too much work for the little fingers, with either normal fingering or the alternate. Grrr.  Those keys have very long rods! An octave down or an octave up would be okay.)

Reply #104
I'm using Mike's trill object for the first time.  Hey, it's only been available about 7 years, these things take time. 
Has it really been 7 years? How time flies...
Where the trill lasts past a system break, I see (tr) at the beginning of the next system just before the wavy line.  Perhaps on the next update, that could change to show the accidental too?  Otherwise someone reading the chart might wonder if the trill is supposed to change to a normal trill at that point.
That's a good idea. Generally I used "Behind Bars" as my reference on how to implement objects, and maybe she didn't include that scenario. If you can find a piece of sheet music that does this, that I could use as a sample, I'll make this change.
That aside, what a wonderful tool, once again.  A little late, but thanks, Mike.
Thanks for the kind words, and you're very welcome.

Reply #105

This is from a Boosey & Hawkes, Inc. chart, but it doesn't say which publisher engraved it. 

Here, the trill has no descriptor at the beginning of each new system.  I have no preference, but if there is to be a descriptor, an accidental could help the user.

Reply #106
This is from a Boosey & Hawkes, Inc. chart, but it doesn't say which publisher engraved it. 

Here, the trill has no descriptor at the beginning of each new system.  I have no preference, but if there is to be a descriptor, an accidental could help the user.
"Behind Bars" gives two examples: the "(tr)" notation that my object uses, and a plain wiggly line like in your example, but it says the "(tr)" is the preferred method. It would be fairly easy to remove the "(tr)", and a little more work to add the accidental. However, the object supports 4 styles, only 3 of which are mentioned in BB. The 4th style (enclosing the accidental in parentheses after the "tr") wouldn't work very well I think.

I would make the argument that the (tr) means "continue the previous trill" and therefore doesn't require the accidental. If it were going to change, you could start a new trill on that note.  But, let's see if anyone else weighs in with an opinion on this before I start making code changes. I will probably end up adding an option to enable/disable this new behavior anyway. Maybe make it 3 options: (tr), (tr) with an accidental (inside the parens), and no (tr) at all.