Skip to main content
Topic: sharp or flat between parenthese (Read 4710 times) previous topic - next topic

sharp or flat between parenthese

Sometimes I see in my scores a flat or sharp symbol which is placed between parentheses.
How do I set these symbols into NWC?
Looking in the help sections ("parenthese", "#") didn't help.

Re: sharp or flat between parenthese

Reply #1
Sometimes I see in my scores a flat or sharp symbol which is placed between parentheses.
How do I set these symbols into NWC?
Looking in the help sections ("parenthese", "#") didn't help.

I believe this is called a "courtesy" accidental, and is put in the score as a reminder. NWC does not directly support the ( ) as part of the accidental, but you can achieve this in your score by first applying a plain accidental to your note (which will not affect its playback) and then add the ( ) as text, with a space between them. Depending on the chord structure and font you use, you might need to play with the alignment a bit, or add a space or two to the beginning or end of your text string.

Here is a sample using the StaffSymbols font:

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.74971,Single)
|Text|Text:"( ) "|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:0|Justify:Right|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:#0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #2
These are courtesy accidentals I believe - just reminders that an accidental is in place, and have no effect on the music.

If you want to include then in your score, simply use text items.  For a sharp, use characters "(d)" from the staff symbols font (or staff cue symbols if you want a smaller one).

|Text|Text:"(d)"|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:10|Wide:N|Justify:Left|Placement:BestFit|Color:0|Visibility:Default
Rich.

Reply #3
These are courtesy accidentals I believe - just reminders that an accidental is in place, and have no effect on the music.

If you want to include then in your score, simply use text items.  For a sharp, use characters "(d)" from the staff symbols font (or staff cue symbols if you want a smaller one).

|Text|Text:"(d)"|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:10|Wide:N|Justify:Left|Placement:BestFit|Color:0|Visibility:Default

I am not particularly interested in the original topic here, but I would like to know where I find the "StaffSymbols" font.  Is that new to the Beta release?  It's not in Page setup that I can access.  Or is it a special "unofficial" font?

Reply #4
I am not particularly interested in the original topic here, but I would like to know where I find the "StaffSymbols" font.  Is that new to the Beta release?  It's not in Page setup that I can access.  Or is it a special "unofficial" font?
When you insert a text object, there are two font choices available at the top of the list: Staff Symbols and Cue Symbols. Both of these are the same font, but different sizes, and use the Notation font you have chosen in Page Setup.

According to the online version history for NWC, these were added to the fonts list in version 2.5.

Reply #5
OK, they only show up after you start the procedure to add text.  Now I get it.

Reply #6

It would help a bit if "Font", or "Display font" or "Notation font" - or something similar - were an item in the Help Contents Index.  On the other hand, "Text Command" and "Text Expression Properties" are there, and do provide potentially useful assistance!

In any "help" system it's always a problem knowing what to look up when you don't know how to do something!  In the old DOS days I vaguely remember looking up, and failing to find, "Delete", which seemed only to be indexed under "Erase".  [:-)]

MusicJohn, 5/Sep/14

Reply #7
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned Lawrie Pardy's fonts in this context. They include courtesy accidentals that can be entered as a single symbol. The Pardy Pack is available from the Scriptorium, and I believe it is now included on the installation CD if you order NWC that way. Add your preferred version of the *Dings font from that package as a user font (I use MusicDings, which matches the standard NWC system font) and set it to the same size as the staff metrics for your score - you can find that number on the fonts tab in the Page Setup dialog. You will then be able to enter courtesy accidentals as text anywhere in the score. They won't affect playback, but courtesy accidentals don't affect playback anyway - they just remind a human performer which accidental to use. (Details on how to do all the steps I've quickly mentioned here can be found in various place on this forum, in the NWC help screens, and in the FAQ on the NWC website.)

Reply #8
Something to remember about courtesy accidentals:
When you transpose a staff which contains courtesy accidentals, they are left high and dry.
You have to remember to correct them yourself.