Skip to main content
Topic: Generic notes w/X's, and squiggly line to indicate rolling into the chord. (Read 2786 times) previous topic - next topic

Generic notes w/X's, and squiggly line to indicate rolling into the chord.

I know this must sound crazy but I don't know the correct nomenclature.  I want to use a note drawn with an x instead of the typical oblong dot at the top or  bottom of the stems.  I want to use it just to force the lyrics to show up under them.

The other thing I don't know what it's called either but it's a squiggly, vertical line that appears left of a chord telling the pianist to roll into the chord rather than hit it all at once.

Can someone help an amateur please?

Re: Generic notes w/X's, and squiggly line to indicate rolling into the chord.

Reply #1
Hey JB,
'x' noteheads can be selected from the toolbar, by pressing 'q' or from the "Notes" menu:
Just select the required notehead prior to placing the note(s) - the selection is persistent - you will need to manually change it back OR you can place the note(s), highlight them and then select the required notehead - done this way the notehead selection is not persistent.

To place the "Arpeggio" squiggly line you'll need a font that *contains such a character and place it as text.  Depending on the vertical height of the required arpeggio you may need to place more than one symbol - just make sure they don't preserve width and are alligned identically.  I usually use Righ justified at next note/bar and pad the right part of the expression with sufficient spaces to give a pleasing result.

There is a user tool that will create the sound part of the arpeggio with hidden grace notes (it's called "Arpeggiate (nwsw)" and can be found in the ".Starter Tools" user tool group)

*fonts that contain the squiggly line are Boxmark2, or any of my *Dings font suites which are available from the NWC site or the Helpful files section of the Scriptorium.  Boxmark2 can be found on the scripto too.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
... or you can use my version of that tool that takes care of both the visual and the sounding part of it.
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6046.0

N.B. it assumes that the font User 1 is one that contains the squiggly line.

Reply #3
Hi Flurmy,
thanks for cutting in, I thought there was a version that did that, but couldn't for the life of me remember who or when...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.