Skip to main content
Topic: Ties in solving chords (Read 4854 times) previous topic - next topic

Ties in solving chords

In Noteworthy 2.1, when I selected a chord that solved in the next chord and clicked 'tie' (or pressed '/'), only the notes that did not change between the chords would actually tie. But now, in version 2.5, ALL the notes are trying to tie. So I get stuck with (mostly) 2 notes that are not able to tie, but show a tie anyway... Correcting this takes a lot of time. Building a chord 1 by 1 also takes more time (I use a midi keyboard now)...

Anyone know how to handle this?

In the attachments you will see the bad situation (knipsel1) and what I want it to be (knipsel 2).

Re: Ties in solving chords

Reply #1
The trick is to enter the "/" before doing Enter or Cntl/Enter to add the note.

Note how the nwctxt looks:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.51,Single)
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted,Slur|Pos:-3,b-1^,b2
|Chord|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:b-4^,-1^,1
|Chord|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:-4^,-1^,0^
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-4,-1,0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

The carat "^" indicates a tie.  As a last resort you can cut a note to the clipboard, fix it with editor, select all to the clipboard, go back to NWC and paste it back.

HTH
Since 1998

Reply #2
In Noteworthy 2.1, when I selected a chord that solved in the next chord and clicked 'tie' (or pressed '/'), only the notes that did not change between the chords would actually tie. But now, in version 2.5, ALL the notes are trying to tie. So I get stuck with (mostly) 2 notes that are not able to tie, but show a tie anyway... Correcting this takes a lot of time. Building a chord 1 by 1 also takes more time (I use a midi keyboard now)...

Anyone know how to handle this?

In the attachments you will see the bad situation (knipsel1) and what I want it to be (knipsel 2).

There's an easy way to toggle the tie on and off for each note of a chord. If you position your cursor over the notehead in question and right-click, a context menu appears, in which "Tie" is a choice. Clicking that will toggle the tie on or off for that note in the chord.

That said... It might be nice if there were a preferences setting to revert to the behavior in 2.1 (I didn't remember that it did this, to be honest).

Reply #3
There's an easy way to toggle the tie on and off for each note of a chord. If you position your cursor over the notehead in question and right-click, a context menu appears, in which "Tie" is a choice. Clicking that will toggle the tie on or off for that note in the chord.
Now that NWC 2.5+ has a notehead interface, it makes sense that the 'Note Tie' Toolbar Button would affect all notes in the user selection. NWC 2.5+ behavior makes arpeggiating much easier.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
The trick is to enter the "/" before doing Enter or Cntl/Enter to add the note.

Note how the nwctxt looks:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.51,Single)
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted,Slur|Pos:-3,b-1^,b2
|Chord|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:b-4^,-1^,1
|Chord|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:-4^,-1^,0^
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-4,-1,0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

The carat "^" indicates a tie.  As a last resort you can cut a note to the clipboard, fix it with editor, select all to the clipboard, go back to NWC and paste it back.

HTH

I DO NOT enter the notes by hand, I use a MIDI keyboard so I can enter the whole chord at once. Saves a lot of work!

Reply #5
Now that NWC 2.5+ has a notehead interface, it makes sense that the 'Note Tie' Toolbar Button would affect all notes in the user selection. NWC 2.5+ behavior makes arpeggiating much easier.

It already did this in earlier versions, but then it 'saw' which notes were also present in the next chord and only tied those notes instead of all the notes in the chord...

Reply #6
then it 'saw' which notes were also present in the next chord and only tied those notes instead of all the notes in the chord...
I know. IMO, "blind" is better.

Reply #7
Better? I agree. But also slower!

I remember the days where, for instance, I could change the instrument of a staff with the keyboard only. In all the new versions I have to position and click the mouse several times to achieve the same result. Especially annoying when I want to find the best sound for my song.

The same happened with the selector buttons. Beautiful and elegant, but, instead of one click, you now need at least two clicks (and again position the mouse).

All these new things are slowing down the process of entering scores! And this has always been the distinctive key feature of Noteworthy Composer, I believe.

Noteworthy is still the easiest and fastest score editor for me, but the key thing that made me fall in love on this beautiful piece of software - speed -, is disappearing.
:-(

Bart

Reply #8
I remember the days where, for instance, I could change the instrument of a staff with the keyboard only.
You still can. If you don't like to 'down arrow' thru the groups, you can flatten your itree to eliminate them. Then it will work much like NWC 1.75

The same happened with the selector buttons. Beautiful and elegant, but, instead of one click, you now need at least two clicks (and again position the mouse).
I would describe them as neither beautiful nor elegant, but the keyboard shortcuts for them can be changed or eliminated.

Reply #9
Hi Bart,
yeah, I'm not completely sure about the selectors yet either...

Still, your keyboard shortcuts are still there even if some are a little different.  E.G. a Key Sig entry:
press K and you get the selector instead of the old dialogue, press, say A, and it goes to A Major - if you need Ab then right arrow and down arrow, then <Enter>

It's probably a little faster than the old dialogue and easier to see because the options are all right there in front of you without the need to scroll.  It doesn't list the minor keys, but if you know the relative majors then just use them, though in that case NWC will store the wrong Tonic

Of course, <Alt+I> <k> takes you to the old dialogue... AND you can add the minor keys to the selector if you prefer.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.