Skip to main content
Topic: Placement of symbols (Read 13187 times) previous topic - next topic

Placement of symbols

I'm sure I've seen it somewhere, but I simply cannot locate the instructions on how to select above or below a note for the placement of a fermata.

Re: Placement of symbols

Reply #1
There's no dedicated instruction for that.
Simply, if the vertical position is below the middle line then the fermata switches to "below the note".
That's all.

Reply #2
if the vertical position is below the middle line then the fermata switches to "below the note".
and if that is not to your liking, Text can be used instead:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.51,Single)
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:-1|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-6|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Text|Text:"y"|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:-3|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
and if that is not to your liking, Text can be used instead:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.51,Single)
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:-1|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

I really have no idea how to use nwc code.  What's odd about this was that I removed a fermata, and replaced it with one with a time duration, and it moved it from top to bottom.  I messed around with the up-and-down stems (I found out accidentally that that procedure is excellent when placing rests and adding notes to the same beat), but it didn't get me anywhere with the fermata.

Reply #4
I really have no idea how to use nwc code.
Just click on "Download" and let NWC open it.
What's odd about this was that I removed a fermata, and replaced it with one with a time duration, and it moved it from top to bottom.  I messed around with the up-and-down stems (I found out accidentally that that procedure is excellent when placing rests and adding notes to the same beat), but it didn't get me anywhere with the fermata.
Rick didn't put a real fermata in there, that was a text object.  Where you want an upside down fermata, press x to get text, for Display Font choose Staff Symbols, then pick t for an upside down fermata or y for a right side up version.

To get a working fermata at that point, put it on a hidden staff or insert hidden tempo changes to slow down then reset the tempo.

HTH

Since 1998

Reply #5
Susanna, from what you wrote it seems you don't know that using <ctrl><alt><up/down> you can move the selected objects up/down.
Select the fermata, lower it below the staff center line and the fermata switches to "below the note".

Reply #6
Susanna, from what you wrote it seems you don't know that using <ctrl><alt><up/down> you can move the selected objects up/down.
Select the fermata, lower it below the staff center line and the fermata switches to "below the note".
Oh, thanks a lot!  I don't do very much creative stuff with Noteworthy, in fact, I don't work with it often, and I haven't learned any of the short cuts.  And what I do learn, I may forget, if I  put it aside for a while.  I'm a very amateur musician, and not a composer at all.  I'll just copy this info somewhere that I'll have easy access to it.

Reply #7
I can't seem to make it work.  I have Noteworthy 2.1. Do I have to have a later version to do this?

Reply #8
Am I supposed to select the fermata that is already there? And how can I do it? If I try to select something, it selects the entire staff at that point.

Reply #9
I can't seem to make it work.  I have Noteworthy 2.1. Do I have to have a later version to do this?
Yes. Specifically, this item:
requires NWC 2.5+

Reply #10
Susanna, I beg your pardon: the correct key combination is <ctrl><shift><up/down>!

N.B. Rick is talking about using the text symbol. I was talking about "the fermata that is already there".

Rick, except in some rare special cases, what's wrong with the "true" fermata?

Reply #11
except in some rare special cases, what's wrong with the "true" fermata?
Nothing. As I said above, Text is an option if you do not like NoteWorthy's automatic placement.

Reply #12
Susanna, I beg your pardon: the correct key combination is <ctrl><shift><up/down>!

N.B. Rick is talking about using the text symbol. I was talking about "the fermata that is already there".

Rick, except in some rare special cases, what's wrong with the "true" fermata?
Thanks!  I have been thinking of upgrading, but putting it off, since I don't use it that much, and it's not critical to me, and I currently have a few up-coming expenses that are!  I'm sure you all know how that is!  But no doubt sometimes your music is more critical than other things.

Reply #13
Hot dog!  I made it work!  Thanks for all the help!

It does seem to shift them slightly to the left.  I suppose there's no help for that.

Reply #14
It does seem to shift them slightly to the left

Did you check that fermata placement is "centered" and "at next note/bar"?
In the latest version is the default for the fermata but maybe in version 2.1 was not. I don't remember.

Reply #15
Did you check that fermata placement is "centered" and "at next note/bar"?
In the latest version is the default for the fermata but maybe in version 2.1 was not. I don't remember.
It was centered before I moved it.  Of course, you can't (at least I can't) actually select the fermata, but it is the anchor symbol that is selected.  That's how it worked for me, anyway.  If I didn't select the anchor, it didn't know enough to select the fermata.

This is a really nice piece of software, but I'm a little slow on the uptake some times.  

Reply #16
Let's start from the beginning.

I mean: select the fermata (it's ok the way you did, selecting the anchor), then press <alt><enter> or right click on it and select "properties". A dialog box pops up.
Select the "placement" page.
There select position = "centered" and "at next note/bar".

Reply #17
Let's start from the beginning.

I mean: select the fermata (it's ok the way you did, selecting the anchor), then press <alt><enter> or right click on it and select "properties". A dialog box pops up.
Select the "placement" page.
There select position = "centered" and "at next note/bar".
OK, did that, fixed it, thanks!

Reply #18
I just ran the upgrade to 2.5, and it seems to have shifted the one slightly to the right, although the dialog box shows center.  It is, however, centered directly over the note, which is a stem-up note on the top clef.  I suppose that's as good as it gets - unless I can alter it with code.  Not that that's  going to happen any time soon.

Reply #19
Hi Susanna,
in NWC, anything centered at next note will be centred over the note head - chords can change this but I don't recall how exactly.

Please note that the edit screen is NOT wysiwyg.  You need print preview at max magnification to get close to that - or print a pdf and view that on screen...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #20
Under the old software, putting the fermata above a stem-up note had centered it over the stem.  It makes sense, though to center it over the note.

Reply #21
Under the old software, putting the fermata above a stem-up note had centered it over the stem.
If you want centered on stem, try this:
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.51)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|Text|Text:" y"|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:6|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote|Color:1
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-1
|Text|Text:"t "|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:-7|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote|Color:1
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposer-End

Reply #22
As I've said before, I'm not up to using code - yet - but I'm considering trying it.  As a former computer programmer (of 25 years), I should be able to work with it once I start trying it out.

That's another thing, with placement of text.  I have a piece of music for guitar (the original was for lute) by Vincenzo Galilei, and I was trying to put the fingering on it.  Trouble was, whenever I tried to put one I had already placed elsewhere, it insisted on putting it at the exact same level that I put it before.  I thought I should be able to set a location, but when I called up the text dialog box, it only gave me the option for entering the text.  I seem to remember selecting the location (height or depth) when I did some other text.

Reply #23
Hi Susanna,
in the text dialogue you should have a "Placement" tab - if you don't then go to | Tools | Options | Editor (tab) and remove the tick from "Smart Properties Insert".

In any case, you can always select the text and move it up or down with <Ctrl> + <Shift> + <Up/Dn Arrow>
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #24
... or select the text, press <alt><enter> and have access at the "Placement" tab.

About "using" code: no need for it, at least for this topic.

1) click on "select" above the "code" snippet
2) press <ctrl><C>
3) switch to (or turn on) NWC
4) paste it in NWC

That's all.

Reply #26
Hi Susanna,
in the text dialogue you should have a "Placement" tab - if you don't then go to | Tools | Options | Editor (tab) and remove the tick from "Smart Properties Insert".

In any case, you can always select the text and move it up or down with <Ctrl> + <Shift> + <Up/Dn Arrow>
Thanks, fixed it.  I thought I'd had it before, but that must have been before I upgraded to 2.5 (done just in the last few days).

Reply #27
Thanks, fixed it.  I thought I'd had it before, but that must have been before I upgraded to 2.5 (done just in the last few days).

Hi Suzanna,
These "code things" have nothing to do with writing code. Here is what you do to get the idea.

Select a bar somewhere in within Noteworthy.
Copy to the clipboard. Use Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Insert or use your mouse.
Now go to Word or Notepad.
Paste.

What you see now is the equivalent of what you selected in Noteworthy.
The good news is... it also works the other way around! Meaning that if you see something that looks very tricky and clever, like a piece of code, you now know what to do:
Select that bit of "code"
Copy to the clipboard (like above)
Go to Noteworthy
Paste.
Hey Presto! Try it, it's good fun. Use the examples on this page to find out how the forum-members have been trying to help you.

cheers, Rob.

Reply #28
... a text object.  Where you want an upside down fermata, press x to get text, for Display Font choose Staff Symbols, then pick t for an upside down fermata or y for a right side up version.
Susanna, welcome to the forum!

When you press X for teXt, the box that opens has a "CharMap" box beside the text entry field. Click it to see the character map for the font you've selected.  Sometimes it's easier to find the text symbol with the map than trying to remember which keyboard letter is the one you need.

Reply #29
That's another thing, with placement of text.  I have a piece of music for guitar (the original was for lute) by Vincenzo Galilei, and I was trying to put the fingering on it.  Trouble was, whenever I tried to put one I had already placed elsewhere, it insisted on putting it at the exact same level that I put it before.  I thought I should be able to set a location, but when I called up the text dialog box, it only gave me the option for entering the text.  I seem to remember selecting the location (height or depth) when I did some other text.

This is my attempt to create guitar chords, but a lot of classical guitar music uses very few of them.
Since 1998

Reply #30
I wasn't trying to create chords; there is just a melody line, and a single note "accompaniment" line.  To make them look right, I had to do them on separate staffs, then layer them; the melody line must be all stem-up, and and the accompaniment stem down.  While working on it, I realized that the upper line had the left hand markings (fret notations), and the lower line had the right hand markings.  It was all "thumb", so not a lot to do there (except, since it was an Italian piece of sheet music, the thumb indicators were all "p").

I find it a bit frustrating, though, because guitar music is written an octave higher than it sounds, and I suppose there's no way for Noteworthy to know that when you select "guitar" for the instrument, it should be played back an octave lower.

Reply #31
You need to edit (or create) an itree in the itrees directory inside the Noteworthy Software directory.
This is one I did for orchestral strings – note the Double Bass transposition.
You can change the itree in the insert instrument menu.

Reply #32
Thanks for all your help!  I have a little problem, though - I opened the ITree file with wordpad, didn't notice if it said "always open with this program", probably did, and now it shows it as a wordpad file - which means that any such file I may create in the future will appear as a wordpad file.  Is this a problem?  Must it be changed, or will the suffix be enough to know that it is an NWC ITree file?  I'm not sure I will ever get into that - I'm just a rank amateur here, but I'd rather have everything correct just in case.

Reply #33
I wouldn't worry about it, Susanna.  NoteWorthy Composer will be fine with just the correct suffix. And if you ever want to edit them, you'll be able to by just a double click.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #34
I wouldn't worry about it, Susanna.  NoteWorthy Composer will be fine with just the correct suffix. And if you ever want to edit them, you'll be able to by just a double click.
Thanks!  So many people on this site are so helpful, even when I can't find what is right in front of my eyes!