Skip to main content
Topic: Rehersal player (Read 4415 times) previous topic - next topic

Rehersal player

I use Composer for rehearsing my choir parts, because I can alter the volume of the different parts, which Noteworthy Player cannot.

However, I miss the option to repeat a certain part over and over.

I'm disappointed even Noteworthy Player (I guess that's another name for Noteworthy Composer Viewer) cannot do a repeat of a section.

My optimal rehersal player would be where I can ealily alter the volume and instrument of the different parts, alter the speed, set a repeat from A to B, and see the notes highlighted on the sheet music.

Leif

Re: Rehersal player

Reply #1
I think you had better download the latest Noteworthy Viewer. It does much of what you want.

To repeat a section, position the music to the start of the section you want to repeat, press f5 to play. When  you want to repeat the section, just press f5 again - for as many times as you want to repeat that section.

You can see the notes highlighted on the screen.

You can alter the speed from 10% of tempo to 400%.  You can do this either by pressing = and manually setting the speed or by pressing + or - when the music is playing.

You can mute various parts with the viewer - just press the M key when the music is not playing (Note that if the stave was meant to be mute, then you cannot make it sound using the Viewer.

I produce rehearsal files for my choir all the time. I usually provide a file for each part (SATB) where the part is enhanced for rehearsal purposes.
It doesn't take that long to do.  You need to reduce the volume of each of the other parts to something like 64. The part being rehearsed stays at 127 and then can be heard clearly above the other parts and any accompaniment.

HTH
Rich.

Reply #2
I looked at Viewer, and I find the method of having to move the slider to select the starting point to be annoying; I'd rather click on the note.

However, I then tried F5 on the Composer, and discovered that F5 means play from the cursor when stopped, and stop while playing.
I.e. Click at start of phrase. F5 to start at phrase, F5 to stop, F5 start at phrase again.

So while it cannot play a phrase repeatedly, it'll make do for a singer. A little more anoying for an instrument player wanting to try the same over and over again.

Reply #3
Make a new copy of the file, and insert some local repeats at the section you think you need to play over and over again.  The local repeat close bar allows you to set the number of repeats.  You have to reset it manually, but if you figure you need to play the bars 10 times, set it to that.

It's probably just better to hit F5 as often as you need to, but if you don't want to...