Skip to main content
Topic: using both tie and slur between two chords (Read 3933 times) previous topic - next topic

using both tie and slur between two chords

I'm having another new problem.  I have always been able to use both a tie and a slur between two chords of which the melody notes are the same, but the harmonizing notes modulate.  Now, as soon as I hit the / , it searches for the next notes that match each note in the chord.  How can I apply the tie to just the melody notes while the slur applies to the other notes?

Re: using both tie and slur between two chords

Reply #1
Build the chord without the tie on. Activate the tie (/) when you come to enter the note in the chord that you want to tie with another note.

If you already have a chord with all the ties activated, then select the chord, hit the / key to remove all ties. Then remove the chord member that needs a tie and put it back into the chord with the tie activated.

Rich.

Reply #2
Thank you!  That worked.  It's an extra step I did not used to have to take, but I'm glad there's a way around it.

Reply #3
If you already have a chord with all the ties activated, then select the chord, hit the / key to remove all ties. Then remove the chord member that needs a tie and put it back into the chord with the tie activated.
NWC 2.51 has made this easier. You can right-click while hovering over any notehead on the selected staff. This brings up a context menu that allows you to edit all the properties of that notehead except for its position.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
NWC 2.51 has made this easier. You can right-click while hovering over any notehead on the selected staff. This brings up a context menu that allows you to edit all the properties of that notehead except for its position.

Also except for the Slur property. But I didn't know about the context menu: thanks for pointing that out, it's very handy.

Edit: Someone will most certainly point out that "slur" is not a note property, it's a chord property, so I can see why it wouldn't be displayed in that context menu. But a single note is a special case of a chord, is it not?

Reply #5
Someone will most certainly point out that "slur" is not a note property, it's a chord property
No opinion on that, but "Slur" is not a notehead property.
Registered user since 1996