Skip to main content
Topic: HUGE difference between 17 and 18 in staff metrics (Read 4452 times) previous topic - next topic

HUGE difference between 17 and 18 in staff metrics

In NWC2, why is there such a huge difference in size between 17 and 18 in the staff metrics setting?  Setting it at 18, the song I'm trying to print out takes up all of three pages.  When changing it to 17, it takes up one page plus one staff on the second page.  I'm very frustrated and am wishing many times that I could go back to NWC 1.75. 

Re: HUGE difference between 17 and 18 in staff metrics

Reply #1
It would help if you posted your actual file.

In general, you have much more control over system and page alignment in NWC2. You can force system/page breaks, add spacers to exactly control how adjacent notes are spaced, and add Boundary Changes which can dynamically adjust the height requirements for any staff in each system.

Reply #2
Can send my file privately instead of here on this public forum?

Reply #3
It's unlikely that NWC should be blamed for this. The program can only do what the printer driver allows it to, and printer drivers can be pretty eccentric. It's common, for example, for two different printers to take exactly the same NWC file and render it with different line breaks and different page counts. It's important to set the printer you're going to use before you fine-tune the file using Page Preview.

Bill

Reply #4
I cannot guess what caused the problem, but:

I czn only repeat:

It's important to set the printer you're going to use before (you open the file which you want to) fine-tune the file using Page Preview.

The options which we now have, allow for previously undreamt of control.

It does need experimenting and getting used to.

By using spacers set at less than 1.0, you often can shoe-horn the music into a previously impossibly small space.

Reply #5
Can send my file privately instead of here on this public forum?
You should be able to send it to "support at noteworthysoftware.com" (you know what to do with the "at" ;)  )

I'm sure Eric will follow up fairly quickly - I've found that putting NWC in the subject can be helpful too.

Like Haymo and Bill I suspect something odd with a printer driver so may I suggest you also supply Eric with your OS version and printer type, and perhaps model - actually, if you tell all of us the printer make and model perhaps one of us will have the same one and can see if we have a similar problem.

For what it's worth, I've used many printers over the years, mostly lasers, and never had the problem you've described.  Or at least not nearly as significant as a worse than 2:1 ratio between adjacent metrics.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
My printer, an older HP, is the same one I've been using for at least five years.  I used it with NWC 1.75, which was on my old PC, and never had this problem before.  When I upgraded to NWC2, I had just gotten an iMac computer.  In order to be able to use NWC, I put a virtual windows computer on my iMac.  I wonder if my issues have anything to do with that. 

Reply #7
I wonder if my issues have anything to do with that. 

Probably not. It is probably just the nature of the file that you are printing. Is it a single staff, or multi-staff? In a multi-staff arrangement, a single point change accumulates over each staff in the system. It can make a substantial difference. The shifting system break locations can also significantly alter the number of pages needed for printing. You probably need to look closer at what is happening in your arrangement as you increase the printed notation size.

Reply #8
Well, it looks like I was wrong. On my first test system, both of your e-mailed files fit on two printed pages. Perhaps it really is your printer.

You might want to consider printing to an intermediate software PDF capture device, such as PDF Creator. It might help with resolution problems that seem to be caused by your printer.

Reply #9
It was indeed my printer.  My son went into the printer settings and fixed the problem. 

Reply #10
Good news.  Thanks for letting us know.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.