Skip to main content
Topic: Note always a quarter note when recording from MIDI (Read 3533 times) previous topic - next topic

Note always a quarter note when recording from MIDI

No matter how long I hold down a key on the midi keyboard, NWC always writes the note as a quarter note.  I was hoping that NWC would actually let me record a song correctly so that the timings will be correct in the written score.

I have read another thread, that basically said I had to set the note duration before I play the note -- not exactly what I had in mind.  I would not have bothered to buy a midi keyboard if I was going to have to write the durations myself anyway.

If NWC is not a good composing software from a midi keyboard, then does anyone have a suggestion as to what software package I should use instead.

Thanks,
Pop Jones

Re: Note always a quarter note when recording from MIDI

Reply #1
You might want to take a look at: FAQ - MIDI Keyboard Input
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Thanks.  I also tried using a predefined rhythm and was able to get the notes somewhat in time.  The problem with this is that there is a delay from key press to sound heard when using the echo feature.  This makes it difficult to keep up with the rhythm, and the notes need a lot of manual work to get them spaced correctly.

I am not sure if there is a setting I can make on the midi keyboard, or if this delay is inherent to Windows.  I am new at midi recording.  I have a lot of tunes that I would like to get scored, but am getting quite frustrated.

Thanks.

Reply #3
Thanks.  I also tried using a predefined rhythm and was able to get the notes somewhat in time.  The problem with this is that there is a delay from key press to sound heard when using the echo feature.  This makes it difficult to keep up with the rhythm, and the notes need a lot of manual work to get them spaced correctly.

I am not sure if there is a setting I can make on the midi keyboard, or if this delay is inherent to Windows.  I am new at midi recording.  I have a lot of tunes that I would like to get scored, but am getting quite frustrated.

Thanks.
You're running into latency in the synth.  My bet is that you're using a "softsynth".  If you have a hardware synth available you can try using this for your output from NWC, OR you might try using the built in Windows GS softsynth (which, for all its faults, does have fairly low - not zero mind, just low - latency, at least on my machines).

For what it's worth, when I record from MIDI keyboard I use the hardware synth in my Creative sound card - this has pretty close to zero latency.

Given that you have a MIDI connection to your keyboard already working anyway, can you try setting NWC to use the keyboards synth for output when you're recording?  You may also need to tell the keyboard to accept external MIDI input.

Another thought occurs to me...  A softsynth using ASIO will have pretty much zero latency - this is what ASIO was designed for, but I wouldn't try this unless my machine was pretty good - and old '486 or Pentium just won't cut it...  ;)

Checkout the Scripto for some clues on using VST and ASIO:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Vst

Also, if you do a search for latency on the forum you'll find more responses than you can "poke a stick at" - good clues there too.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Well it looks like I will need to take a university course in midi technology to rid myself of this latency.  I think I will look at better software composing packages and read their reviews to see if they also suffer from this "latency by default".

I think it will be much easier with NWC to just continue to manually compose my scores...it certainly will be less time consuming than attempting to understand the technical jargon of the links in the prior response.  I just wanted to use the keyboard to enter the notes for my original tunes without needing to be a Mozart.

Reply #5
I think I will look at better software composing packages and read their reviews to see if they also suffer from this "latency by default".

"My car engine doesn't start. I'll try with a different car body color..."

Reply #6
Well it looks like I will need to take a university course in midi technology to rid myself of this latency.  I think I will look at better software composing packages and read their reviews to see if they also suffer from this "latency by default".

I think it will be much easier with NWC to just continue to manually compose my scores...it certainly will be less time consuming than attempting to understand the technical jargon of the links in the prior response.  I just wanted to use the keyboard to enter the notes for my original tunes without needing to be a Mozart.

Hi Harold,
I'm sorry if my last post was a bit too confusing.

Perhaps you can help me simplify things by telling me what you have now:
  • Windows version
  • Sound card
  • *Synth in use by NWC.
  • *Synths available.

* Available from the |Tools|Options|MIDI (tab) menu item.

FWIW, changing to a different composing package will make no difference as it isn't NWC that's the problem, it's your synth.  That said, some of the (much) more expensive packages do come with ASIO compatible softsynths, but you still have to set it all up.  Why spend the money when you'll go through the same processes anyway?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Lawrie, perhaps the jargon needs to be explained so Harold can understand what you're telling him.  I imagine he, like me, doesn't understand these expressions:
  • synth
  • softsynth
  • latency?
  • ASIO