Skip to main content
Topic: rg_Quarters.php - NWC Play Time report for each staff (Read 4611 times) previous topic - next topic

rg_Quarters.php - NWC Play Time report for each staff

This tool replaces the tempo in the nwctxt sent to it and uses nwc-conv.exe to report how many quarter note beats are in each staff. The tool requires Input Type: File Text

A report is produced. The tool does not alter the song.

For example, the result of running the tool on the sample file: moonlite.nwc
Quote from: rg_Quarters
     1068.25   Standard   Treble Clef
     1068.25   Standard   Bass Clef
     1068.25   Hidden     _Treble Clef
     1070.50   Hidden     _Bass Clef
 0.459 seconds.
would lead me to ask:
  • Why the extra 16th note?
  • Why is the last staff longer?
I would not consider my work done until I had answers. There is a cadenza at 188. The last staff seems to solve a problem that NWC fixed many years ago. My current sample says it was last modified in June 2001. YMMV

I also find the tool useful for checking changes to flows. Flows, endings and decorated barlines interact in non-obvious ways.

Due to NWC imposed limits on tempo and the precision of the INFO returned by nwc-conv, the tool cannot be made 100% accurate. It may miss a 64th.

Comments and questions welcome. There is some code in the tool for using nwc-conv.exe that may save someone a few hours of studying PHP's proc_open function :)
Registered user since 1996

Re: rg_Quarters.php - NWC Play Time report for each staff

Reply #1
I took the final barline, half rest, and the low/soft 32nd note out and all staves matched with your tool.
Code: [Select · Download]
     1068.25	Standard   Treble Clef
     1068.25 Standard   Bass Clef
     1068.25 Hidden     _Treble Clef
     1068.25 Hidden     _Bass Clef
 0.844 seconds.

You might want to try taking everything out except for the cadenza and see what your tool shows.  The cadenza has extra long measures.
Since 1998

Re: rg_Quarters.php - NWC Play Time report for each staff

Reply #2
The cadenza has extra long measures.
A feature common to most cadenzas. The measure numbering could be improved, but if the playback is what the editor wants, I have no problem with the extra beats.
Registered user since 1996