Skip to main content
Topic: rg_CloneStaff.php - an enhanced AddStaff (Read 7692 times) previous topic - next topic

rg_CloneStaff.php - an enhanced AddStaff

This works like New Staff except that the staff is created immediately below the selected staff and inherits all its attributes. Any notation in the selection is added to the staff. Select nothing to create an empty staff. Any lyrics present are added regardless of the selection.

The tool requires:
  • Input Type: File Text
  • Options: Returns File Text

Like all User Tools that return File Text, NWC will prompt you to save your work. This should not be necessary as the tool's action can be undone by deleting the staff it creates.
Registered user since 1996

Re: rg_CloneStaff.php - an enhanced AddStaff

Reply #1
I like this one Rick, thanks :)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Rick,

Long needed !  Brilliant, thank you.

Have tested with a few examples and all works very well.  There are so many times I have wanted to clone a staff and as far as I can see, this does all that might be needed,  either a clone as a new staff without anything else, or a clone with all the music and everything else. I particularly like the fact that lyrics are included. This is useful when needing to have a second set of lyrics for formatting purposes.

Will continue testing over the next few days but from what I have seen so far, I do not expect any problems.

Rich.

Reply #3
Thanks, guys.

I particularly like the fact that lyrics are included.
The NWC UI makes it so easy to remove lyrics that I figured that an option to exclude them would just add unneeded confusion.

Reply #4
I figured that an option to exclude them would just add unneeded confusion.

Over and above that, before your script, selecting and copying an entire staff would not copy lyrics and having to go back to the original staff, edit and copy the lyrics, go to the new staff, configure and then paste was such an annpying set of actions. This will be a well loved script.
Rich.

Reply #5
Rick, this tool is what I've been waiting for!

Unfortunately, being a bit backward and dense,
I need help to translate your instruction:

The tool requires:
  • Input Type: File Text
  • Options: Returns File Text

into exactly what I have to do
to install and run the tool.

On trying to use it in the same way as (say) "GlobalMod",
without selecting anything on the staff,
I got the following error message:

Error: [in C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\Scripts\rg_CloneStaff.php, at line 14]
--> NWC User Tool Input Type: File Text is required.

Your help will be most appreciated.

Reply #6
Haymo, the tool is great and performs exactly as advertised.

After you have created the command line, there are two radio buttons and four checkboxes.  Under Input Type, select File Text.  Under Options, check Returns File Text.  Then click OK.

To run it select what you want replicated on a new staff and start his tool.
Since 1998

Reply #7
Haymo, I hope Warren has answered your questions. Thanks Warren.

Reply #8
Haymo, I hope Warren has answered your questions. Thanks Warren.
You're welcome.

It should be noted that good programmers and technical writers don't make their instructions any longer or more complex than they have to--I was just echoing what Rick had already posted.  When someone posts a new tool in this forum, please read all of their installation instructions if you decide to use it.
Since 1998

Reply #9
Rick and Warren,
please be patient with me.

I do read the instructions, but that does not necessarily mean that I've understood them.
In this case,
"The tool requires:

•Input Type: File Text
•Options: Returns File Text"

Fine, brief, concisely put.
Problem is, as I do not know what "File Text" is - the whole instruction is lost on me.

Reply #10
Don't worry, Haymo, it's very easy: when you want to add a new tool you must do Insert->User tools->New

There you have the "Input type" radio buttons "Clip text" and "File text".
And also an "Options" check box called "Returns File Text".

You have to select what's suggested by the tool autor.
That's all.

If the tool is old or bears no indications then select "Clip text" and not "Returns File Text"-