Skip to main content
Topic: newbie: staves for short pieces on one page (Read 2529 times) previous topic - next topic

newbie: staves for short pieces on one page

Hi:
I am a newbie with NoteWorthy. Searched the manual, common questions, etc and couldn't find an easy answer to this:
How do I get staves that are not connected for short pieces of music notation, e.g. scales, arpeggios. When I add a staff they are always connected to the previous one in one system. I want them independent.
Hope it's not too dumb a question... and someone can help. Thanks!
M

Re: newbie: staves for short pieces on one page

Reply #1
You add a staff when you want two or more parts to sound at the same time, like the left and right hands (bass & treble) of a piano part.  Perhaps you don't need to add a staff, just continue the first (perhaps) only staff, and use some type of special bar line to separate your exercises and force it to do a system break.

Is the attached something like what you need?  Look at the final double bar at the end of each line.

Edited:  BTW, welcome to the NWC Forum.  For future reference, posts of the "How do I ...?" variety are usually posted in the "General Discussion" section and if this thread disappears, it probably has been moved there.
Since 1998

Reply #2
Thank you!! That looks a lot like what I need. And thanks for the welcome and advice... I'll go to How To... the next time.
*s* How did you get that "special bar line" into the staff? Just point me to the right direction (manual, another thread, anything...) and I hope I can work it out.
In any case: Thank you, virtuoso Warren! It's really nice of you to respond!
M

Reply #3
How did you get that "special bar line" into the staff?

You can go to the Insert menu and pick "Bar Line (decorated)" or simply hit the B key.  From the Style dropdown menu you can pick any type of barline you need.  There are also checkboxes for "Force System Break (Top Staff only)" (what I think you will need) and "Exclude from Bar Count" (not used very often).

Thank you, Warren! It's really nice of you to respond!
You're welcome and I think you'll find a lot of helpful people on this forum.  We encourage you to study/search other postings and experiment.  Feel free to post again if you get stumped.

Once again, welcome to the NWC Forums.
Since 1998

Reply #4
Hi Martin

While Warren's method is exactly what you need, you might also try experimenting with separate staffs using the staff properties "system connections to next staff" settings.  If you clear all the connections on each staff, you end up with just a single line connecting them all on the left margin.

I prefer Warren's method, but thought you should learn this technique too.  It might facilitate copying common features from one staff to another, but has its drawbacks.  The unremovable single vertical connecting line at the left might make my way less desirable than Warren's, and playback will run them all at the same time unless you mute some.

The advantage of playing around with this technique is that it gives you a way to experiment with the fairly recent changes to "system connections."

As to a manual, I think Help is your best bet.  Just press F1 to open it.