Skip to main content
Topic: Tool to adjust stem lengths? (Read 6034 times) previous topic - next topic

Tool to adjust stem lengths?

Hi all,

This is an open "is this possible" post, based on a short thread that I started in the General Discussion area (in case it looks familiar). In that thread, I was talking about the need to adjust stem lengths of flagged notes on a layered staff so they line up for printing purposes. It occurred to me while typing up my description that this would be a great use of a user tool: it could sweep through a staff and automatically modify the note lengths to correspond to the same note on the preceding "parent" staff. However... after reading posts in this forum section, I noticed several comments from users saying that a user tool runs in the scope of a single staff, and can't see or interact with other staves in the score. Is this still the case? (some of those comments were written back when the program version was 2.0 or 2.1)

Another idea would be to save the song in .nwctxt format and then use a tool to read through the entire file a staff at a time, but this could get tricky.

Thanks in advance for your feedback/ideas.

- Mike

Re: Tool to adjust stem lengths?

Reply #1
What would also be useful is a tool that automaticialy adds extra not space when  the corresponding notes on two layered staves are "adjacent", like c and d, d and f,...
If you use chords on one stave in stead of two layered stave, this is automaticilly done by NWC.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #2
after reading posts in this forum section, I noticed several comments from users saying that a user tool runs in the scope of a single staff, and can't see or interact with other staves in the score. Is this still the case?
No. User tools can now read the entire file. This is enabled on the User Tool Description popup as Input Type: File Text

If enabled, a Tool can insert something at the cursor, or like tools have always been able to do: replace the selection.

To do more, enable Options: Returns File Text

In this mode, the tool can change anything. The problem with this mode is that the changes cannot be undone with the Undo Command.

Tools must be written to handle these newer modes. Most older tools do not gain magical new powers ...
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
I'm trying to figure out an easier way of doing this as well, as opposed to changing each note individually on the layered staff.
Any suggestions? Is there a User Tool available yet for this?

Reply #4
I might be able to help, not with a tool but a website where (parts of) two staves are cut into two textareas and code can identify objects being sounded (appearing) concurrently and change one or both where necessary.  Attach a before and after sample with a description of what needs to be done and I'll try to look at it.

This is a sample of an earlier webpage--enter Cntl/U to look under the hood (works for most browsers).
spacepart.htm
Since 1998