Skip to main content
Topic: Dotted crotchet problem (Read 3744 times) previous topic - next topic

Dotted crotchet problem

If I try to write the bar in the attachment,  the bar is 3.5 crotchets long, instead of 3.  How can I write to correct this?

Re: Dotted crotchet problem

Reply #1

Hi, boblalux.

Either use layering - the tail-up notes on one staff layered with the tail-down notes on a second - or place a quaver rest under the crotchet D, to make what NWC calls a "rest chord" (this will force the crotchet to appear to have a quaver length, though it will still sound a crotchet long!).  For this rest chord, place the quaver rest, tail-down, first, then "chord" it with the crotchet, tail-up.

If you have lots of this sort of thing, layering is probably best.

MusicJohn, 27/Nov/12

Reply #2
The attached shows the layering solution MusicJohn suggested as well as another workaround, splitting the crotchet D into a pair of quavers, one of them tied.  If this is the only time it happens try one of the workarounds.
Since 1998

Reply #3
Here is a one staff staff solution:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.5,Single)
|Chord|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:-6
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Down,HideRest|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-5
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-7|Opts:Stem=Down
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:6|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-9,-6
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

and a layered solution:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.5)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|WithNextStaff:Layer
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Up,Slur=Upward,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-5|Opts:Stem=Up
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:6|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-6|Opts:Stem=Up
|Bar|Style:SectionClose
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10
|StaffProperties|Channel:2
|RestChord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Opts:Stem=Up,HideRest|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:-6
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,HideRest|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-7
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-9
|Bar|Style:SectionClose
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Neither is a workaround.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Thanks all of you.  I was hoping for a solution whereby the visible score and the rendition woulld both be correct.  Still, the closest I think, is splitting the crotchet into 2 quavers as mentioned, whereby the 2nd quaver is linked with the quaver below. Thanks.

Reply #5

Hi again, boblalux.

I think you may have misunderstood what we're all suggesting.  Whichever solution you take, by choosing to make the relevant rests invisible, and by using layers with suitable notation, you end up with a result looking exactly as you wish, with no indication of the way it has been achieved - both the visible score and the rendition are correct.

Have another look.

MusicJohn, 27/Nov/12

Reply #6
I think that you do not understand the purpose of RestChords.

This does not surprise me, since NoteWorthy insists on burying the details of RestChords in the Chord Member Command.

It is not obvious that this applies to RestChords:
Quote from: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/help/MNU_ADDCHORD.htm
it is important to understand that only the smaller duration item is actually used in aligning notes on a score. When creating split-stem chords, the notes in the larger duration are ignored when formatting and alignment is performed with respect to other notes above and around this item.
but it does.

Alas, help for the Notation Properties Command doesn't list 'Rest Chord' in its "series of property tabs", leaving the 'Show Rest' option completely undocumented.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
I think that you do not understand the purpose of RestChords. This does not surprise me, since NoteWorthy insists on burying the details of RestChords in the Chord Member Command.

Perhaps it would help if the explanation you linked to is modified with these bold-face words:
A chord containing a rest (a "RestChord") is created by first placing the rest, and then adding one or more notes to that rest. The duration of the rest must be smaller than that of the notes that are added to it. The stem direction assigned to the rest must be different (opposite) than the note that is being added, or the operation will fail.