Skip to main content
Topic: Noteworthy stops responding to 1, 2, 3, etc., keypresses to change note duration (Read 3221 times) previous topic - next topic

Noteworthy stops responding to 1, 2, 3, etc., keypresses to change note duration

I have noticed that after a period of time Noteworthy stops responding to the numeric keypresses (above the letter keys) as a shortcut to change note duration.  I am baffled as to what could cause this.  I have tried adding a text element containing numbers when this is happening and the key presses work as expected.

Re: Noteworthy stops responding to 1, 2, 3, etc., keypresses to change note duration

Reply #1
Note...  Restarting Noteworthy always solves the problem...and the keystrokes start working again...

Re: Noteworthy stops responding to 1, 2, 3, etc., keypresses to change note duration

Reply #2
FWIW I've never experienced this problem with any version of NWC since 1.75 - on a rather large range of machines...

I think I'd be looking at the PC - what OS are you running?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Windows XP Professional, all current updates, Kaspersky Anti-virus, standard PS/2 keyboard.  I haven't had any problems either...and I am a long time user.  This is something very new to me...and it is very strange that that particular function is happening.  I am wondering if it happens after you play a song that has a very long looping track.  In the piece I am working on, there is a metronome track that has a repeat of 200.  I never let it actually get there, nevertheless, it is out of the ordinary...

Reply #4
What happens when you press the "1"? If it toggles the accent mark, then your machine has a stuck <Shift> key....either literally or electronically.

Reply #5
When I press 1 (or 2 or 3 or 4), nothing happens (when the problem is happening).  If I type an X to enter a text element, then the numeric keys act as normal and the keys activate the correct characters.

Incidentally, I just spent several hours working on a different score (with no looping metronome staff) and had no problems...  Everything worked as normal...

Reply #6
If I type an X to enter a text element, then the numeric keys act as normal and the keys activate the correct characters.

This sounds like Alt has been pressed and the focus is now in the Windows title bar control section. When you press X, you might be activating the shortcut for maximize, which then returns the focus back to NWC. If this is correct, the easiest way to figure this out is by using the arrow keys to see if the focus moves around in the window frame and/or opens the Windows control menus.

Reply #7
I don't think the ALT key is the problem, Eric. Try it. On my machine, anyway - and I presume on others - after you've pressed ALT, the number keys will still change the note duration. And if you press ALT X, nothing apparent happens if you're already maximized - you have to press X a second time to bring up the text window. Dripley would probably have commented on that.

Dripley, three questions: (1) Do you ever see the problem on a different score than the one you've reported it happening in, or is it always that same score you're editing when it happens? (2) After you've tested the number keys by using text entry, has the problem then been eliminated when you go back to trying to use the number keys to set note durations, or do you still have to turn NWC off and on to solve it? And (3) does the problem still exist if you use the numeric keypad instead of the numbers above the alphabet keys? (You have to have the NUM LOCK on for the keypad to work for setting note durations.)

I would also try deleting the metronome staff temporarily and checking to see if the problem was still there.

Bill