Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot install de the NWC2 user tool starter kit 2.5 (Read 8830 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot install de the NWC2 user tool starter kit 2.5

I recently reinstalled the NWC2 program on my new computer under Windows 7, and it is functioning as before on my old computer.
Today I tryed to install the NWC2 user tool starter kit 2.5.
I first downloaded the exe-file to the Notworthy Composer 2 map and then dubbelclicked the exe-file,
but each time I'am getting the followig error message:
"The package requires a properly installed copy of Noteworthy Composer 2.
Notworthy Compooser 2 is either not installed or has been altered since its installation.
Setup aborted"

I am a licensed user since version 1.75.
What is going wrong here?

Re: Cannot install de the NWC2 user tool starter kit 2.5

Reply #1
The installer looks in the registry for this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NoteWorthy Composer 2\InstallLocation
The key value must be a folder that contains the file: 'NWC2.exe'

For example, my key value is:
C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2

If any of this fails the installer displays this popup:
Quote from: NWC2 User Tool Starter Kit Setup
This package requires a properly installed copy of Noteworthy Composer 2. Notworthy Compooser 2 is either not installed, or has been altered since its installation.

Setup aborted.

Unlike some of NoteWorthy's other installers, the Tool installer does not perform an "internal consistency check" on 'NWC2.exe'

NWCVer.vbs - Utility to check versions may be of help in determining if you have a valid installation.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Rick,
Thanks for the tip, but it did not solve the problem.
I see also that I have lost the intermediate update to version 2.0 which prevents me now from reinstalling the update to version 2.1,
although I succeeded last week to install  the update to version 2.1 and 2.5, without installing the update from 1.75 to 2.0.
Your utility to control the versions tells me that not any program has been installed properly.
What me be wrong here?

Re: Cannot install the NWC2 user tool starter kit 2.5

Reply #3
Your utility to control the versions tells me that not any program has been installed properly.
What me be wrong here?
None of your programs are installed properly.

This exchange seems to be NoteWorthy's answer to your question:
Hmmm... All I am getting is this:
"This package requires a properly installed copy of Noteworthy Composer 2. Noteworthy Composer 2 is either not installed, or has been altered since its installation.
Setup aborted."
Any ideas?
If you modify your installed copy of NWC2 after installation, you will get this message.

The main NWC2 installer creates an uninstall key that points to your working copy of NWC2. If you move the program files, or delete the uninstall data from the registry, then you will not be able to run updates or supporting setup programs.

Note: My utility doesn't control the versions, it just reports them.

Reply #4
Should I delete every thing and start all over again?

Re: Cannot install the NWC2 user tool starter kit 2.5

Reply #5
Should I delete every thing and start all over again?
If you have a NoteWorthy Composer Version 2+ CD (Compact Disc) and an Authenticity ID, starting over is easy.
Starting over will fix your registry. Your next internet access to Noteworthy will direct you to the current update.

You can also start over with one of these files:
  • setup_nwc2.exe
  • setup_nwc21.exe
  • setup_nwc25.exe
and an Authenticity ID
An Authenticity ID is part of the License Certificate you receive by mail when you place a NoteWorthy Composer - Order
This second route can be a problem if you have multiple files and Authenticity ID's

My tip to all users is that if you have reliable and affordable mail delivery service from the US, purchasing the full program on CD is a wise investment.

Reply #6
It's very easy even if you have the version 1.75 CD.
I had to reinstall NWC some times and, if I remember well, in just 3 passages you're up to date.

Reply #7
After reinstalling the different versions, starting from the CD with version 1.75, everything turned back to normal.

So thanks for your help!