Skip to main content
Topic: Ctrl. x placement and visibility options disappeared from menu - Help!  (Read 3134 times) previous topic - next topic

Ctrl. x placement and visibility options disappeared from menu - Help!

Suddendly the visibility and placement options disappeared from ctrl. x menu, and I get only the text button option.
I checked with alt+enter (which still works) and the default option for the inserted text is now "preserve width" and "best fit" which is a disaster if you need to add fingerings. So from now on I will need to manually revise every fingering/text insertion. Help!

Re: Ctrl. x placement and visibility options disappeared from menu - Help!

Reply #1
Hi Leon,
ctrl x ???  IIRC that cuts highlighted stuff...

From context I think you mean the <X> text menu.

So, to get back the missing tabs, go to |Tools|Options|Editor (tab) and remove the tick from "Smart Properties Insert".  This'll fix it.

As for changing defaults in the text dialogue, the system remembers the settings used from the last time, during the current session, that you used the text entry dialogue to create a new object.  Note, this refers to inserting new text objects, not editing existing ones.

E.G. press <X> and create a new text object using defaults from session start - (left justified, preserve width?).  Now, press <X> again and create a new text object, this time changing the properties so that width is not preserved and you use centre justification BEFORE you press <Enter>.  Now, press <X> again to create a third object, check the settings and you will notice that preserve width is still off and centre justification is active.

OK, select the second or third object you created, change the settings to right justification and the font to something else, press <Enter>, press <X> again to create a fourth object and your settings left from creating the second object are still active, NOT the settings from the last edit.

See how it works?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Ctrl. x placement and visibility options disappeared from menu - Help!

Reply #2
Thanks a lot Lawrie.
Of course, I meant X, my mistake.

In the meanwhile I removed and reinstalled NWC which fixed the problem, but I am glad I know now the proper way to deal with it if this happens again. And this of course will save me the anxious moments I went through between removing and reinstalling again :-)
Strange, because I never ticked the "smart properties insert", but then it could have happened unintentionally. 
I realize that the X properties are "remembered", and since I occasionaly use the "preserve width" option too, this is the setting that must have been remembered after the last time I had inserted text.