Skip to main content
Topic: beaming between staves / changing the stem direction within a beamed group (Read 5864 times) previous topic - next topic

beaming between staves / changing the stem direction within a beamed group

There is sometimes need to go with beamed notes from one staff to the other without breaking the beam line, like between the left and right hand on the piano for example, or in harp notation where this is common place.

The solution I have found is to move the cursor so high (or so low) until it reaches the adjacent staff and it is spot on the note I need on the non-active staff. After entering the note numerous leger lines will appear, but they can be taken off later (or in advance) and of course these notes should be also muted. On the other staff the real notes will be entered, but they should be non-visible and audible. And one should of course be careful not to change the distance between staves later on, so as to avoid disaster. Is there any easier way out?

This kind of notation (and not only tis one) often calls for the option to change the direction of the stem within a group of beamed notes, but I can't see how this can be done.
Any help?

Re: beaming between staves / changing the stem direction within a beamed group

Reply #1
It is often possible to line the beams up with groups of notes from both staves - a little judicious juggling of stem lengths helps.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
This kind of notation (and not only tis one) often calls for the option to change the direction of the stem within a group of beamed notes, but I can't see how this can be done.
Any help?
Baroque music does this on a single staff. Here is the basic (ver 2.5+) workaround:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.5)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|WithNextStaff:Layer
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0z|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=1,Beam=First,XNoteSpace=1,NoLegerLines,Muted
|Spacer|Width:0|Color:1
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=6,Beam=End
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=6,HideRest|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-6
|Rest|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Down|Visibility:Never
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
IMO, NWC should support this directly on a single staff.

Cross staff beaming is unlikely to be directly supported due the the added complexity of how staves interact in NWC.

The attachment from Clair de Lune shows some cross staff beaming that can be acheived in NWC 2.5+
I would like more tools to simplify this but I don't think it will ever become easy. Much of the difficulty in the attachment is the slurs ...
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Hi Rick,
I copypasted your example, but the program only show "2.5 Noteworthy composer" and not the actual notes.
I tried to download it and nothing happened, same with the link.
What to do?

Reply #4
Use the download option or copy it to the clipboard and use Paste as New File Command.

Reply #5
It worked, really clever, congrats!
One question: where do I find the spacer?

Reply #6
where do I find the spacer?
It is on the Insert menu.

Reply #8
thanks