Skip to main content
Topic: Start/Stop command question (Read 5893 times) previous topic - next topic

Start/Stop command question

I am a church organist. I use Noteworthy to compose pieces and play them using Noteworthy midi, on the Allen church organ with midi capability. It works well EXCEPT! I cannot use F6 to stop play because it "locks up" the Allen organ completely. The only way I can make it operational again is to shut the organ off and restart it. Obviously this can be a disaster during a church service. The "start / stop" buttons work without an issue but they are very awkward to use. Is there a way to change the start / stop command to a different keyboard stroke. Something like the space bar would be ideal.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Terry

Re: Start/Stop command question

Reply #1
I am confused by these two statements:

• I cannot use F6 to stop play because it "locks up" the Allen organ completely
  • The "start / stop" buttons work without an issue

The F6 key, the Stop toolbar button, and the Tools->Stop menu command all do the exact same thing.

You can also use the Esc key to stop the play back. Alternately, the Viewer supports the Space Bar approach.

Reply #2
I understand that it sounds confusing. But I believe that the problem lies with the fact that the f keys have other functions on the computer, that they normally perform other than for the Noteworthy software commands. The f6 key has a "lock" icon on it. (a little picture of a lock). I'm not sure what it is that it locks, but I believe that the signal that it sends when it is pressed, is what is locking the organ. I thought that it was just the F6 that was locking the organ but it has occurred once or twice with the f5 as well. Just using the touchpad to move the cursor and hit the start / stop tabs does not send any messages out other than the Noteworthy commands. But...using that method when I'm operating the organ for 500 people in a church, (with the laptop sitting beside me on the organ bench is VERY awkward.
As it is set up, the Noteworthy inserts rests with the spacebar. 

Reply #3
I cannot use F6 to stop play because it "locks up" the Allen organ completely. The "start / stop" buttons work without an issue but they are very awkward to use.
I suspect that using F6 sometimes results in the keyboard sending more than one F6. This causes a stop followed by one or more resets.

Using the mouse, only one Stop Command per click is issued.

Quote from: http://ntworthy.com/nwc2/help/MNU_MIDISTOP.htm
If a score is not currently playing, all the open MIDI device ports will be reset.
NoteWorthy's idea of a reset is to send several hundred MIDI messages as fast as possible, a method that works well with software synths. When external devices are used, this can cause lockup, especially if the MIDI cable is noisy.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
The F6 key may also be suspending or locking the computer, which may cause a MIDI driver issue.

You could probably work to solve the keyboard handling on the computer, but the easiest solution would be to switch to the Viewer for this application:

NoteWorthy Composer Viewer
http://ntworthy.com/nwc2/viewer.htm

Reply #5
Thank you for your replies. They do answer my question and I will try using the viewer option this Sunday as suggested. I just tried it and indeed it works with the space key. 
Terry

Reply #6
<edit>  I see there have been other replies while I have been putting this together. If the straight forward Viewer option works then great. This answer is still valid for a batch file to play a sequence of nwc files, so I'll leave it here ! </edit>  

I have potentially one way of doing what you want, but it involves using the viewer instead of the composer.

This is the method if you are using Windows 7 and where your operating system understands full filename syntax (rather than 8.3 syntax).
If you think this may be of use to you but you need 8.3 syntax, then post back here and I will try to tell you how to get there.

First of all, let's say that you have two hymns that you want to play.  You can either set up two different files, or one file with two hymns in it.
WARNING  ....  If you set up one file with two or more hymns in it, there is a danger that you will touch a key and set the hymn off without intending to. (Embarassing if in the middle of prayers I would think).

So lets say that you hymns are
d:\NoteWorthy Files\samples\lead me lord.nwc and
d:\NoteWorthy Files\samples\teach me o Lord.nwc

Lets also say that your viewer is in the following folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2 Viewer
So the viewer and path is :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2 Viewer\NWC2View.exe

So you need to set up a batch file (just a text file with a .bat extension rather than .txt) and you can store this wherever you want.
It will look like this :  (replace as appropriate with the values for your viewer, file and folders etc.

pause
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2 Viewer\NWC2View.exe" "D:\NoteWorthy Files\Samples\lead me lord.nwc" /play /close
pause
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2 Viewer\NWC2View.exe" "D:\NoteWorthy Files\Samples\Oliver\teach me o Lord.nwc" /play /close

In the viewer, you need to set up the delay that you want after you pressed a key and before it starts playing. (Tools Options Start play countdown)

So now you can go to where you save this file and double click it.  It will then go into a pause.  When you are ready, press any key. It will then load the viewer with the first hymn loaded, do the specified countdown then play the hymn. When it has finished it will then exit the viewer and go into pause mode again.  When you are ready for the second hymn, you can then press a key again.

This is why you have to be careful not to press a key or it will just start. You may prefer to set up separate files for different hymns.

If you are using lesser versions of windows, you may need to put some additional batch file commands in - but I'll detail those if it turns out that you need them and you think this method is worth following up.

Rich.

Reply #7
Thanks Rich! I totally see what you're getting at here. Sort of like constructing a "playlist". It sounds interesting and I'll give it a try! Thanks a lot for taking the time to think this through and respond.
Terry

Reply #8
As a side question involving the use of Viewer, I normally use the SATB template for hymns. When I switch to Viewer, it combines (overlays) the Alto and Tenor staves (one on top of the other).
Is this normal?

Reply #9
The SATB template uses layering. You can turn this off from File, Page Setup, Contents, Allow Layering.

Reply #10
The SATB template is designed so that Sop and Alto over lay and tenor and bass overlay.

If you do not normally see this, then you probably haven't got that switched on in Composer.

To make sure that it does not overlay in the viewer, you need to use Composer and then go to each staff. Select the properties, go to the visual tab and then make sure that each staff does not have a tick in the "layer with next staff" box.

Once you have checked all four staves, then save.   Then it will not be layered in the viewer.

If you want all of your future files to be not layered, then I suggest you change the template and re-save that or it will keep on happening in the viewer for all new files you make.
Rich.

Reply #11
If you wish to contol playback in NoteWorthy Composer without using the function keys:
  • Start: Alt+T, P
  • Stop:  Alt+T, S (or Esc)
  • Pause: Alt+T, PP <Enter>

For the Viewer:
  • Start: Alt+P, P
  • Stop:  Alt+P, S (or Esc)
  • Pause: Alt+P, A (or Space)

Note that Pause is a toggle. (Pause/Resume)

IMO, 'Pause: Alt+T, PP <Enter>' is unfortunate and should be changed.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #12
Thanks to all for the help!!! It is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Reply #13
NoteWorthy Composer Version 2.5.5 includes changes to the MIDI Reset performed by the Stop command when nothing is playing. If the MIDI Reset was the cause of your problems, these changes should help.