Skip to main content
Topic: Deleting tempo (Read 8561 times) previous topic - next topic

Deleting tempo

I haven't used Noteworthy all that much, but am just starting to get into it. I composed one piece and added a tempo, then discovered it was too fast and wanted to delete it and insert a slower temo, but everything I try seem to delete a note instead. How do I do this, please?

Re: Deleting tempo

Reply #1
The expression anchor is the key to working with objects that do not preserve width. You can also quickly select the nearest tempo by moving before the item, and using Ctrl+F, which is Edit->Find. In the Find box, enter "|Tempo" without the quotes. This will then select the next tempo found. You can then press Delete to remove it, or Edit->Properties to adjust it.

See also:

FAQ - Existing notes or symbols - change or delete

Reply #2
Alongside the tempo marking, you will either see an anchor or a small arrow or mark.

These objects are grab items that immediately precede an object. If you select that mark by the tempo, that is the same as selecting the tempo itself.

Select the mark and then press delete.

For info, you can change the shape and size of this mark by going to Tools options Editor and selecting custom Expression Anchor and then changing the size if you want.

This type of mark will also be used to select items such as text (not lyrics) or dynamic variances etc that you might have put in.
Rich.

Reply #3

It would be good if you could search backwards as well as forwards.  This has, I think, been on the Wish List for some time, but has not been enabled.

MusicJohn, 19/Jun/12

Reply #4
These objects are grab items that immediately precede an object. If you select that mark by the tempo, that is the same as selecting the tempo itself. [emphasis added]

Not quite. An anchor precedes an object when justification is set to "left."  When justification is set to "right," it follows the object, and when justification is set to "center" it shows up in the middle of the object. AFAIK, the default justification for all objects is "left." But if a user changes that, the statement quoted here might confuse him.

Sorry, Rich. Just trying to be complete....

Bill

Reply #5
Sorry, Rich. Just trying to be complete....

No need for sorry - very good point. Since Rayc admits to being a new to NoteWorthy and he didn't know how to grab hold of the mark to delete tempo, it is unlikely he would have done this ....  but for others reading and for future reference, very valid.

I also agree with John that a backwards search woud be very useful.   The times that I've wanted to know where a "an effect" comes from and had to go back to the beginning and search forward whilst having in mind the measure number that's giving the issue.
Rich.

Reply #6
And of course, once one has selected the tempo (or MPC or text item or whatever), instead of deleting it, you can right-click it and select Properties to change the tempo instead of inserting another tempo mark.

Reply #7
And of course, once one has selected the tempo (or MPC or text item or whatever), instead of deleting it, you can right-click it and select Properties

or press <alt><enter>

Reply #8
Another suggestion for when writing multi-staff works (orchestral, choral, etc) is to use a separate, single staff for all non-zero tempo controls.

For example, all numeric tempo values, fermatas, breath marks, accels, decels, etc could go on that single channel.  That makes them easier to find for editing.  If channels are in short supply the tempo staff could use for example channel 10.  When saving the finished work, the tempo staff would be hidden.

Reply #9
While I understand the use of a specific staff for tempo controls, I don't see the need for a dedicated channel.
You can use whatever channel you want, already used or unused.
I just suggest to uncheck "Send Patch" and "Send Bank select" for that staff to avoid interferences.

Reply #10
I have no preference for this but what I would recommend is that all tempo marks and any instruction that changes tempo are all confined to one specific staff, not necessarily dedicated.  Markings that that change tempi will not work unless they have a tempo mark before and after the change marking.

This applies to markings such as accel, rit, ral etc.

To see this in action, play this as is. Then move the accel marking to the first staff and play again.

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.5)
|Locale|ACP:1252
|Editor|ActiveStaff:1|CaretIndex:1|CaretPos:2
|SongInfo|Title:""|Author:"<Name>"|Lyricist:""|Copyright1:"Copyright © 2012 <Name>"|Copyright2:"All Rights Reserved"
|PgSetup|StaffSize:16|Zoom:4|TitlePage:Y|JustifyVertically:Y|PrintSystemSepMark:N|ExtendLastSystem:N|DurationPadding:Y|PageNumbers:0|StaffLabels:None|BarNumbers:None|StartingBar:1
|Font|Style:StaffItalic|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:10|Bold:Y|Italic:Y|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffBold|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffLyric|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:7|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageTitleText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:24|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:12|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageSmallText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User1|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User2|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User3|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User4|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User5|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User6|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|PgMargins|Left:1.27|Top:1.27|Right:1.27|Bottom:1.27|Mirror:N
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:12|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Tempo|Tempo:120|Pos:12
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Tempo|Tempo:240|Pos:12
|Bar
|Bar
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:2
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|TempoVariance|Style:Accelerando|Pos:7
|Rest|Dur:Whole
|Bar
|RestMultiBar|NumBars:8|PrintOnce:Y|WhenHidden:ShowBars,ShowRests
!NoteWorthyComposer-End

Rich.

Reply #11
any instruction that changes tempo are all confined to one specific staff

Absolutely!
I hate to have to search all the staves to find which one contains the one I'm interested in that specific moment.

Reply #12
Another reason for keeping all Fermatas and Breath Marks with non-zero values on a single staff:

...  It simplifies the job of running Rick's Fermata/Breath_Mark tool before exporting from NWC to MIDI.

Currently NWC doesn't have a built-in 'smart' export of Fermata and Breath Mark values.  They're ignored in the export.  (It's been requested many times in forums, and is in the Wish List.)  Rick's program converts them to an Expression format which is supported in the export to MIDI.

Keeping them together on one staff makes it easier to do that job.

Joe

Reply #13
Another suggestion for when writing multi-staff works (orchestral, choral, etc) is to use a separate, single staff for all non-zero tempo controls.

For example, all numeric tempo values, fermatas, breath marks, accels, decels, etc could go on that single channel.  That makes them easier to find for editing.  If channels are in short supply the tempo staff could use for example channel 10.  When saving the finished work, the tempo staff would be hidden.

When printing parts, the above info as well as rehearsal symbols should be seen by everybody.  Hide the rests and barlines so the part being printed can be layered into the tempo channel.
Since 1998

Reply #14
When printing parts, the above info as well as rehearsal symbols should be seen by everybody.  Hide the rests and barlines so the part being printed can be layered into the tempo channel.

Yes, indeed.  I didn't mention that because I thought it was covered in Richard's reply (#10 above).

Tempo symbols like accel, rit, etc can and should be shown in the score for the players or singers on their staves  As Richard pointed out, if there is not a numeric tempo value assigned before/after those controls, they have no effect on the actual timing.  Likewise, fermatas and breath marks with zero numeric value can and should be shown on the various staves for the same reason.  They're there visually for the players/singers to see (and follow the conductor/leader as necessary).

The actual numeric tempo values affecting accel/rit, and the actual timing values of fermatas and breath marks, can be placed all on one staff.

The main point is, keeping all elements whose values affect the control of timing on a single staff simplifies the editing of the score later on.  It's easier to find a drink if there's the one bucket to dip the cup into.

Hoping it helps to explain it better.

Joe