Skip to main content
Topic: changing music from treble clef to bass clef (Read 10475 times) previous topic - next topic

changing music from treble clef to bass clef

What do I have to do when I want to change the music which is written with a treble clef to music written with a bass clef.
For one of our musicians I need to change the music for her instrument.

Re: changing music from treble clef to bass clef

Reply #1
G'day Guido,
this question has a few possible answers...

As a starting point:

a) If she wants to maintain the absolute pitch AND the treble clef music is concert (not transposed for trumpet or sax etc.) then shift all the notes UP 12 times.  I.E. First ledger line BELOW the treble staff becomes the first ledger line ABOVE the bass staff.

b) If she wants an octave shift DOWN as well (AND the treble music is concert) then move the notes up 5 times.  I.E. the third space "C" of the treble staff becomes the first ledger line above the staff "C" of the bass clef.

c) If the treble clef music is transposed treble for a Bb brass band Trombone/Baritone/Euphonium part then move all the notes UP 5 times (3rd space "C" becomes first ledger line above the bass staff "C") and then use NWC to transpose DOWN 2 semitones

There are other possibilities - let us know if I haven't covered your particular requirement.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
An application, would be if the Cello is to play the Soprano part, and needs to change the treble clef to bass clef, and transpose the music one octave (12 semitones) down:

If you've installed "User Tools" already, then "CLEF CHANGE",
a user tool which can change clefs between just about all clefs in use
will do the job nicely.

It can be used to change clef for a whole staff, or a selection which must have a clef signature
(at its beginning).

It's available at:

http://nwc-scriptorium.org/nwc2scripts_kbsc_clef_change.html

Reply #3
Good one Haymo, I'd forgotten about that tool...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.