Skip to main content
Topic: Adding chords (Read 3601 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding chords

As a newbie, I could use some help. I have what is called a FAKE BOOK. In that book I have music which only includes the melody line the the guitar chords above. lyrics as well

Anyway, is there a simple way to write this up in Noteworthy in such a way the the chord plays in the background while the melody is also played.

I have done a poor job of writing this up, but I am sure you understand.

By the way, when I read in the TIPS FORUM I could cry. I hardly understand anything they are saying.

I would also like to add a drum line, but can not begin to think of how to do it.

Re: Adding chords

Reply #1
Hi Habo,
welcome to NWC and the forum.

First, chords...  To match your fake book, you need to add the chord symbols as text.  Unfortunately they will not play back.  To get a sound from chords you actually need to construct the chords as notes (probably in a *hidden staff)

For the drum line, you also need to actually create the drum notation as if it were normal notation, except you must make sure the staff you use for drums is on MIDI channel 10 - this is managed from the staffs properties dialogue (press <Alt+Enter> and the active staffs properties will appear)

AN important thing to remember for drum staves is that you cannot use normal drum notation, but must instead use notes in places that MIDI understands.  There is a guide for what drum/cymbal/etc. sounds for each note in the samples installed with NWC.

At the moment the learning curve is somewhat steep, persvere, it's worth it.  Also there is plenty of help available here, both in the examples in the various dicsussions, and the other members of the forum.

Don't forget to check out the Tips and Tricks section from the main menu - there's lots of help there.

*Staves can be hidden from view in the page setup dialogue.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Adding chords

Reply #2
As a newbie, I could use some help. I have what is called a FAKE BOOK. In that book I have music which only includes the melody line the the guitar chords above. lyrics as well
For lyrics, press Cntl/L (or the blue L icon) and change the line count.  Click on the tabbed verse number and you can enter lyrics.
For the guitar chords, start with this template:
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.5)
|Locale|ACP:1252
|Editor|ActiveStaff:1|CaretIndex:1|CaretPos:0
|PgSetup|StaffSize:16|Zoom:4|TitlePage:Y|JustifyVertically:Y|PrintSystemSepMark:N|ExtendLastSystem:N|DurationPadding:Y
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:12|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffInstrument|Name:"Choir Aahs"|Patch:52|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Clef|Type:Treble
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffInstrument|Name:"Acoustic Guitar (nylon)"|Patch:24|Trans:-12|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Clef|Type:Treble
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
For chord diagrams, the font Fretqwik would need to be installed on your system, please visit scriptorium.org for this (and a lot more!).  Also I have a web page to help create chords, have it open at the same time you are using NWC: guitar.htm.

That might be a lot of stuff to digest but, as Lawrie says, it has a steep learning curve and is well worth it.  Feel free to search the forum and ask questions if need be.

Welcome to the forums.
Since 1998