Skip to main content
Topic: Pardypack Font suite errors - *TextEuro fonts (Read 6630 times) previous topic - next topic

Pardypack Font suite errors - *TextEuro fonts

In reading another thread I became aware of some problems in my *TextEuro fonts.

Basically, I've discovered some mapping errors in the *TextEuro fonts.  I will need to correct these - this is frustrating because I went to a lot of effort to avoid errors and have missed mistakes with several characters that are, in fact, there, but are mapped incorrectly.  I cannot do the corrections overnight but I'll make them available as soon as I can.

This also raises the problem of distribution - there are many thousands of copies of these fonts out there that I know of - possibly many thousands more that I don't know of...

Given that I must make these corrections, are there any additional characters that should be included?  Euro variant fonts only please...  Be aware that there isn't a lot of room available for extras...

I offer my sincerest and most humble apologies for this nuisance.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Pardypack Font suite errors - *TextEuro fonts

Reply #1
Lawrie, you owe nobody an apology.  Mistakes happen, and your fonts have given us the ability to do things we couldn't otherwise do. For free.  I'm grateful, and thankful.

One minor suggestion - use a slightly different new name for the corrected fonts.  Some people may have used the existing *TextEuro fonts, adjusting for whatever mistake there might be.  A corrected font that overwrites the font currently installed on their systems may create problems which won't be evident until they reopen/reprint the file, maybe years from now.

Reply #2
G'day David,
you are most kind, thank you.

WRT the corrections and new name, the way I plan to do it, it would be like simply having additional characters in currently empty locations, not a remapping of the existing characters (though that is probably all that would be really needed).  This will result in the incorrectly mapped characters appearing in two locations, the current incorrect ones AND the new correct ones.  Any additional ones will be into currently empty locations.  The files will be somewhat larger than they perhaps might have been but not much and this will retain backward compatibility.

I really want to avoid having two versions of what is essentially the same font with different names as this would only make things more complicated than they need be.

Reply #3
Wow, Lawrie.
You're saying that you are so luck you don't have to change any of the actual character mapping?
Incredible! Murphy must have been sleeping. ;-)

I remember having wondered sometimes why you didn't include that symbol...
The problem is that now I don't remember which symbol!

Reply #4
I remember having wondered sometimes why you didn't include that symbol...
The problem is that now I don't remember which symbol!
I did spend a lot of time getting people to tell me what they wanted and testing beta versions...  Lotsa people helped, you among them, so if I missed something it's on your head ;) :D :D
<grins, ducks and runs>

Reply #5
I suspect that the missing symbols were missing... because I forgot to scroll down the char map in the MusicTextEuroxxx!
Sometimes I wonder how I can be so stupid. :-(