Skip to main content
Topic: Breve (Read 8053 times) previous topic - next topic

Breve

Does anyone know how to insert a breve as a note value?

Re: Breve

Reply #1
The breve isn't supported natively.  I would insert hidden, tied semibreves and then insert a text breve.  See the scriptorium (www.nwc-scriptorium.org) for available fonts that will supply the character necesary.  I have some font suites there that will do, or, if you received your NWC on CD then you can install the same fonts from the CD.  Look for "Pardypack".
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Breves

Reply #3
Do we have any idea when the breve will be supported natively in Noteworthy?  I am running into more and more situations where breves are indicated, but there is no way to notate them without all sorts of hijinks with other fonts, hidden notes, etc.

I have requested this several times, both in the forums and in the wish list, but have no idea if/when breves will be supported.

Thank you,
Doug Baumann

Reply #4
Has there been any progress on Breves being supported natively?  I've been requesting this since 1998.
Thank you.

Reply #5
This generally works pretty well:

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.51,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Text|Text:"["|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:0|Wide:Y|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0^|Visibility:Never
|Spacer|Width:300
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0|Visibility:Never
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #6
If your concern is about note chase rather than playback, you might prefer this:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.51,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/2
|Text|Text:"["|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:0|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0|Opts:Muted
|Rest|Dur:Whole|Visibility:Never
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
So, in short, the answer to my question is "NO."  But thanks for providing the meaningless (to me) coding.  Perhaps it will help someone else.

Reply #8
Not sure what you mean by meaningless. If you are opposed to hidden notes, then you are correct, there is no solution for you. These clips show how to include a breve (double whole note) into the staff, but they use hidden items.

However, if you are just unfamiliar with NWC text clips, then here is how you use them:

• press the Select link on a NWC text clip
  • press Ctrl+C to copy the clip
  • open NWC2, then press Ctrl+Shift+V (or Edit, Paste as New File)

After pasting the clip, you might want to press F11 (View, Viewer Mode) to see how the breve will look when printed or viewed.