Skip to main content
Topic: Note Color (Read 7106 times) previous topic - next topic

Note Color

Is there some way to change the color of all of the notes on a staff to match (black)?  I didn't realize I was inputting notes in blue, as the notes on the active staff are blue.  There are also blue notes in other staves, and I had no idea they were being input this way?  Do I have to manually change each note?  Argh.

Re: Note Color

Reply #1

Highlight all the notes in your staff by moving to the begining, pressing shift and right arrow (or end), then press Control-E (or Alt-E) to see the Note Properties.  Select the Visibility tab and change the colour there.

You can't change the colours on all your staffs at once without using one of the user tools, but you can do an entire staff at a time, so it only takes a few seconds to do an entire score.

Reply #2
All notes will appear as black by default even though they are blue on the active staff.  You can click on the "glasses" icon to see what the music will look like when it's printed.

One problem is the backslash key (\) will toggle the note color and it's too easy to hit it by accident.  Be sure the notehead toolbar is installed--right click in an unused area under the menu lines to install.

Hope this helps.
Since 1998

Reply #3
All notes will appear as black by default even though they are blue on the active staff.

Just to clarify, Warren, if I make coloured notes, don't they print in colour with a colour printer?  I can't check because my printer is a black and white laser printer.

Reply #4
David,
any colour specified for an object will print in that colour (or an unreasonable facsimile thereof depending on your printer :)  ). 
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Just to clarify, Warren, if I make coloured notes, don't they print in colour with a colour printer?  I can't check because my printer is a black and white laser printer.
They do indeed.  The way I read the original question, the poster didn't want colored notes or notes that stayed blue once a staff became inactive.  The backslash key, right above the Enter key on USA keyboards, is easy to hit by accident--I've done it a few times.  I've used color to identify notes to be removed in all parts because of a cut or insertion of a repeat--also to identify notes the piano would not play if an optional cadenza was used (Allegro Brilliant).
Since 1998

Reply #6
is easy to hit by accident--I've done it a few times.

I've done it so many times that's almost normal to do what David explained before declaring a score complete...

Notes staying blue after removing chord element

Reply #7
I removed a chord element and my remaining element changed to blue.  Nothing I do other than completely deleting the note and re-entering it will remove the blue. 

Re: Notes staying blue after removing chord element

Reply #8
I removed a chord element and my remaining element changed to blue.  Nothing I do other than completely deleting the note and re-entering it will remove the blue. 
If you still have that file (perhaps it ends in .bak), please copy the measure it is in to clipboard and paste it in this forum.
Since 1998

Reply #9
In case you don't see this in the other thread you started on this subject, Parsontse, I replied there, saying
I suspect you're experiencing the difference between an active and an inactive staff.

If you don't already have a second staff in your score add one, then move to it.  You'll notice the original staff and all its notes and rests turn black and the staff you move to becomes blue.

The colour settings can be changed,  but blue seems to be the default.

This colour behaviour aids in editing but everthing will be black when you print. 

If you want to print in colour, you can set the note colours by select the note(s), pressing Control and E simultaneously, and picking a colour in the Visibility tab of the popdown menu.