Skip to main content
Topic: As Staff Signature. Does it do anything useful? (Read 5717 times) previous topic - next topic

As Staff Signature. Does it do anything useful?

On a single staff, 'As Staff Signature' seems to act like 'Best Fit Forward'

For multiple staves, I have been unable to find a use for 'As Staff Signature'.
Can anyone attach a song file that uses 'As Staff Signature' to do someting useful that can't be done with one of the other placement options?

My thinking here is that it has been made obsolete and can safely be dropped from future versions.
Registered user since 1996

Re: As Staff Signature. Does it do anything useful?

Reply #1
I have used it from time to time to achieve some placement I didn't seem to be able to achieve with the other choices, but I don't recall the exact circumstances.  My method is not scientific.  I don't know what the choices are supposed to do, I just try successive placement choices until I find one that does what I want.  

To locate a file using it amongst my hundreds is impractical, so I won't be attaching any, sorry.

I don't know what its purpose is, and I don't know if it is redundant as you suggest, Rick.   I'm opposed to dropping it as long as it's either useful or benign. I think Eric is wiser to keep it because someone in Userland will be very used to it, and why change?

You can call me a luddite, I guess... but I return to my theme - let's continue to beg Eric to fix the slur issues before tweaking the less important issues.  

Reply #2
I use it for tempo and rehearsal letters.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #3
I use it for tempo and rehearsal letters.
What does it do that makes it superior to the other placement options?

Reply #4
It places the rehearsal letters to the right of the bar line instead of over it.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press

Reply #5
It places the rehearsal letters to the right of the bar line instead of over it.
Can you attach an example?

Reply #6
You are right. The print is the same. It only looks different on the screen.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press