Skip to main content
Topic: Adding notes to triplets (Read 4565 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding notes to triplets

I have a song with lots and lots of triplets.
I decided to add a second voice a third below...

I think you can imagine what a PITA was to have to remove all the triplets (this part is easy), add the second voice (this is, more or less, mandatory) then select each triplet and tripletize it...

What about automatically tripletize the added note if the duration is the same as that of tha triplet?

Re: Adding notes to triplets

Reply #1
You could try my "MakeChord" user tool...

It will add the note without breaking the triplet in the first place.

https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5738.0
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks Lawrie.
Still scratching my head...

As a first though, forgive me if I got it wrong, this tool is fine if you need to add notes at constant intervals.
What if the intervals vary for each note?

Reply #3
Why not use a separate layer for the second voice?

Reply #4
What about automatically tripletize the added note if the duration is the same as that of a triplet?
For normal durations, NWC adds the pitch to the stem if it can unless the stem direction is set and user sets the stem direction on the pitch to be added in the opposite direction.

For triplets, NWC adds the pitch to the stem only if the the stem direction of the source and destination are identical (Up, Down, or not set).

I suspect that this is needed to enable the user to create all allowable combinations without breaking the triplet.

If adding a lot pitches, it may be easier to set all the stem directions to a known state, enable that stem direction button, add the pitches and Audit Note Stems.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Thanks Lawrie.
Still scratching my head...

As a first though, forgive me if I got it wrong, this tool is fine if you need to add notes at constant intervals.
What if the intervals vary for each note?
The tool is designed to ignore existing chords...

What this means is that you can select a note (or series of consecutive notes if they all need the same interval) run the tool with <Alt+F8>, make your next selection that needs the same interval, re-run the tool with <Ctrl+Alt+F8> and so on until you have done all the groupings with the same interval, THEN go back, make the first selection for the next interval and you can INCLUDE the previously made chords in the selection so that intervening notes that have the new interval can be included in a much larger block, run the tool with <Alt+F8> to set the new interval, make the next selection whilst again being able to include any previously made chords and re run with <Ctrl+Alt+F8> and repeat to the end, then re do this process until all interval variations are used.  The last run doesn't need a selection to be made as it will select the entire staff, unless, of course, you don't want the entire staff to be chorded...

I find it is very uncommon to need more than 2 or 3 passes to get all the chords processed.  You need to stay fairly alert, but it's still way faster than breaking and re-making triplets - or even trying to enter by hand with <Ctlr+Enter> when there are a lot of chords to be created.

I note that Rick is correct with his observation RE stem directions so depending on how many changes are involved you might find his suggestions more convenient.  However, I'm so accostomed to using MakeChord that it would be my first choice.  YMMV.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
I note that Rick is correct with his observation RE stem directions

Did I overlook such a trivial detail?
Silly me!

Thank you