Skip to main content
Topic: Alignment Question (Read 5416 times) previous topic - next topic

Alignment Question

When I go from layering edit mode to view mode can the horizontal alignment of the now combined lines be forced into accurate tempo alignment?

Re: Alignment Question

Reply #1
G'day Doug,
unless I'm misunderstanding your question that's what does happen...

In edit mode, there is space used by the anchors for various objects and stuff.  When you toggle into view mode this space is no longer shown and what you see should be as accurate to tempo as NWC gets.

If you are still having an alignment issue does it appear in print preview or on paper?  If it gets to the paper I'd guess you may have an editing error, but if it appears correctly on the printed page then there may be a bug to be reported.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Hi Doug,

Happy to help, but I'm not sure what you mean by "accurate tempo alignment".

Do you mean visually, as in "do the notes line up vertically", or in audio playback, as in "do they sound together as scored"?

You can use such controls as extra note spacing to make a score more easily readable visually, but that doesn't affect the timing of the notes when played back (the same as in a live performance).

Joe

Reply #3
You might want to check to see if you have the right number of beats in every measure of every layer. A quick visual check for this is to make sure the barlines line up all across the score. If they don't, one of your measures has either too many or too few beats. NWC can't correct that automatically; it has no way of knowing which notes or rests are the wrong length. You will have to find the error and correct it by hand.

Reply #4
One way to be sure the measures line up is to add a temporary staff with the correct time signature(s) and fill it with whole rests and bar lines.  If the score lines up through measure 25 for example but the bar line at 26 doesn't line up check for a missing or wrong duration of notes and/or rests in measure 25.  HTH
Since 1998

Reply #5
The bars line up fine. What's wrong is the alto staff notes have many marked sharps flats etc. The soprano staff has none so when the two are overlayed there is misalignment...The note heads are not graphically placed properly on the horizontal "timeline" even though the bars are aligned.

Reply #6
Ahh - that's when you need to use Extra Accidental spacing or Extra note spacing as appropriate.

Highlight the note that has the accidental.  Then ALT and ENTER to bring up the note properties.
In the notes tab, you will see Extra accidental spacing. In there, you can mode that accidental up to 7 positions to the left.
In the Extra note spacing, you can move the note 3 spaces to the right.

Rich.

Reply #7
NWC normally lines noteheads up across all staves, no matter what the accidentals are in the individual parts. I would guess your problem places are spots where the soprano and alto parts are just a second (vertical interval, not time) apart, or else places where there are accidentals in both parts. In the first case, you need to move one of the two notes to the right, using extra note spacing; in the second case, move one of the accidentals to the left using extra accidental spacing.

Occasionally, a problem can develop within a measure, particularly if one part has a rest and the other doesn't. The best way to deal with this is with a hidden rest in one of the parts. In those cases, you sometimes have to add a third layered staff to get everything to come out right.

Reply #8
Being brand new to Noteworthy, I'm shocked that something so seemingly fundamental isn't delt with automatically or at least with a dedicated global command! I sure hope there's another way to solve the issue or avoid it altogether. It was issues like this that caused me to migrate to Noteworthy from Cakewalk.

Reply #9
G'day Doug,
your alignment problem surprises me, I've sent you a PM.

Reply #10
I was wondering Doug, did you get my reply?